Budget Recipes: Tuna Potato Bake
Quick & Easy Tuna Potato Bake WIth Cheese (serves 2-3)
- Roughly 0.5Kg potatoes (1 lb)
- 1 tin of tuna
- cheese for topping
- butter/milk/black pepper to taste
As you can see, this is an easy tuna potato bake recipe as it uses so few ingredients! It's a simple process of: tuna, mashed potato, bake!
Tuna Potato Bake with Cheese Method
- Put the kettle on to boil
- Peel potatoes and slice them very thinly.
- Put the potatoes, with a dash of salt, into a saucepan
- Cover potatoes with boiling water and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 12 minutes - until the potatoes start to break up when you poke them with a fork.
Tuna Potato Bake Tip
Tip: If you have a vegetable steamer, then just steam the potato slices, I find it's quicker, the potatoes have a better consistency, there's less steam produced and I find it easier to rinse out a vegetable steamer than washing up a saucepan (I have limited space in the kitchen and my vegetable steamer is about 1/2 the size of a saucepan). Additionally, steaming your potato slices will retain the vitamins... I like to leave the skins on too!
Tuna Potato Bake with Cheese Method
- Pre-heat the oven to about 200°C/375°F
- Strain the potatoes and put them in a large mixing bowl then mash the potatoes to taste. For me this means dropping in a large spoon of Flora Light and some black pepper, but for others of you this might mean mixing with butter and possibly a dash of milk or cream.
- Once the spuds are mashed, open the tin of tuna and add the tuna to the potato - pick the tuna out of the can in small bits with a fork.
- Mix the tuna/mash together and spoon the mix into ovenproof dishes. How many you use depends on how much you think a portion is - and what dishes you have!
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top of the tuna/mash mix
- Place the dish(es) into the oven and bake for about 20 minutes. The cheese should be melted and slightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and serve your tuna potato bake while it's still hot.
Once made, this tuna potato bake can be refrigerated, in a covered dish, and will be fine to eat up to 3-4 days later. You can eat it cold, or you can microwave the tuna potato bake for 3-4 minutes to reheat it. It will also freeze well.
And there you have it: Tuna Mashed Potato Bake achieved quick and easy!
- just a splash of brown sauce
- serve with baked beans, pease or green beans
- serve with a side salad
Any portions of tuna and mashed potato bake that you don't eat immediately can be put covered into the fridge and used up to 3 days later by microwaving it for 4-5 minutes. Or you could freeze it into portions.
I like this a lot. Tuna potato bake is cheap, easy to prepare, keeps for days and tastes great.
I hope you enjoy this Tuna Potato Bake with Cheese recipe as much as I do.
Can You Freeze Tuna Potato Bake?
This can be frozen. Simply cover it and put it in the freezer. To defrost, either remove it from the freezer the night before and put it in the fridge overnight, or bake from frozen, or you can microwave it to defrost it, then bake it (to save time over baking from frozen).
Tuna Casserole with Potato
If you're reading this in the US you'll know this as a tuna casserole with potato. In the UK we use the term "bake", whereas Americans call this dish a tuna casserole.
In the UK a casserole is meat/vegetables swimming in gravy, baked in the oven in a casserole dish. If a dish is firm and uses a white sauce (among others) then we use the term "bake".
If you want to keep it easy, then instead of baking this Tuna & Potato Bake in the oven, why not just mix the tuna and mash, form into neat little cakes and fry them?
Tuna & Potato Fishcakes
After shaping the tuna/potato mix into neat individual cakes, coat in flour or breadcrumbs.
I'd put the cheese on the inside so it's a melted layer!
For speed, you could finish the mix off under a medium grill instead of the oven.
More by this Author
I love this cheap, quick and easy microwave flapjack recipe. It produces soft, moist flapjacks in under 10 minutes (plus the cooling/setting time) with a minimum of effort and mess!
Easy recipe to make a Quick & Easy Lasagne White Sauce in the microwave, or an easy Cheese Sauce using just 4-5 basic store cupboard ingredients.
New and existing market traders are always looking to find the best selling products for market stalls, in order to start up as a market trader, increase their existing turnover, or break out into new markets.