Burgers and Fries: An easy way to prepare some burgers and fries for your family meal
Burgers and Fries
Whether you are cooking them for a casual and fun Super Bowl party or to include in a more formal dinner party menu, burgers and fries are the quintessential enjoyable meal loved in America and internationally. You don't have to find burgers and fries only at
- Burger King
- Jack in the Box
- or other fast food restaurants
- (My own favorite is Five Guys restaurant)
You can prepare the burgers and fries for yourself in a healthy and tasty way. If you don't want to make them from scratch, you can also use some of the shortcuts contained in this article.
- A well seasoned burger makes for a very tasty meal.
- Potatoes are also are good carbohydrate alternative to perhaps your typical daily serving of rice.
- Potatoes are quite nutritious when they do not include added trans fat or a lot of grease, when fried.
- For low glycemic index, sweet potatoes are also very tasty and nutritious. They can be used instead of white potatoes.
- Sweet potato fries are becoming a very healthful alternative, also frequently offered in the frozen food section of supermarkets.
- You can find sweet potato fries in the same aisle as regular french fries or steak fries, often right next to them, to give you options.
- Whether they be sweet potatoes or white potatoes, picking up a large bag of potatoes at the supermarket and keeping them in your pantry is an economical and efficient way to always have the staple on hand.
- It is cheaper and more healthy than buying a frozen bag of fries.
Scrumptious seasoned oven baked fries
The fresh food is always better than that which may contain preservatives or artificial coloring.
- When you are ready to prepare fries, you can control the amount of oil and type of oil, if any is used.
- For oven baked fries, you do not need oil at all.
- You can use unsalted butter, margarine or substitute brand like "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" but I prefer to use butter not margarine.
- Among all options, olive oil is a pretty healthy way to go.
Peeling and slicing the potatoes
- You can peel and slice your potatoes, any which way, really.
- For steak fries, you might opt to thoroughly wash the potatoes before hand and leave the skin on to lock in some flavor, instead of peeling the potatoes.
- If you prefer perfectly peeled and precisely sliced potatoes, there are many kitchen tools (such as those called potato peelers and French fry potato cutters) available that can aid in the task.
- Potato peelers and French fry potato cutters are readily available at various retailers, both in store and online.
- For example, you can try using Amazon.com to online shop for potato peelers and cutters and use the search box to find the items quickly
Ingredients you will need to season your potatoes
The best recommended seasonings for french fries or "oven fried" potatoes are:
- oil and vinegar
- salt and black pepper
- "Old Bay" seasoning
- parsley or oregano
Instructions for cooking the oven baked fries
Whether you cook your fries on the stovetop or in the oven, generous dashes of these seasonings will work well to flavor the potatoes. You can use all of the seasonings or some combination of them.
- For oven baked fries, after you peel and slice them, arrange them in a single layer in a baking pan or cookie sheet lined with gently greased foil (you can use a teaspoon of olive oil or a pat of butter/margarine/butter substitute for the greasing).
- It is very quick and easy in that you can then sprinkle all the seasonings of your choice on top of the layer of potatoes, along with some additional butter or oil.
- Bake in a 450 degree pre-heated oven for 20 minutes.
Well seasoned, flavorful and delicious burgers
When it comes to the burgers, whether they are hamburgers or cheeseburgers, I enjoy making them of 'mini' size. Burgers should also be well seasoned as the fries were (you can use the very same seasonings).
- When burgers are mini, the flavor is locked in really well.
- Mini burgers gained a lot of popularity with fast food restaurants such as White Castle but they are also popular among steakhouses and eat in restaurants such as Applebees, where they are often offered on the menu as "sliders".
- With a growing appeal, mini burgers really are delicious.
- You can make them from scratch with ground meat (beef, turkey, lamb, chicken, etc..) and use some flour or breadcrumbs for binding as you form handfuls into patties.
- If you are not a meat eater, you can even use salmon as seen in the video. Additionally, soy burgers are very popular among vegans (who don't eat meat or fish)..
When making burgers from scratch like this, adding some
- chopped onions
- and/or chopped green peppers
right into the meat or fish mixture is a good idea.
Forming Salmon Burger Patties
If you decide to go with frozen burgers, I recommend all natural "Bubba Burgers" as a really good choice.
- Allow them to thaw adequately, and peel off the papers before placing them in a preheated frying pan or on a grill.
- If you choose to use the stovetop, minimal or no oil is needed in the pan.
- The fat from the meat will drip off and prevent sticking to the pan.
- You can chop some onions, greens peppers and maybe even some seeded jalepeno or chile peppers and add them to the pan when the burgers are half cooked.
- If you like your burgers well done, frozen burgers will typically need 8 minutes of cooking on each side, 16 minutes total (flip with a spatula frequently).
One thing that I noticed when buying frozen burgers is that you can buy them already in the mini size for sliders, instead of cutting them. However, per ounce, it is significantly more expensive to buy them that way. If you are planning a large party and want to save time by buying frozen burgers instead or making them from scratch, but you also want to cut cost when making the mini burgers, you can cut large burger patties. This will save money when you are making mini burgers.
Choosing a tasty bread for burger buns
Lastly, you can serve your burgers on nice, warm rolls. Heat rolls in the oven right before serving. Homemade bread is fantastic but again, frozen is always an available alternative. In the frozen section of your local supermarket, you can find lots of types of bread in many brands. From the garlic bread similar to what you would find in a pizzeria to small dinner rolls that can be served in a basket alongside dinner, there are many options. You might want to check the ingredients label and avoid ingredients such as high fructose corn syrup if you can. I recently wrote a hub that discusses avoiding high fructose corn syrup further-
I recommend using small dinner rolls to size with the mini burgers as opposed to the traditional hamburger buns that you will find in the aisle with loaves of bread, and similarly hot dog buns. Warm dinner rolls taste fresher and are more palatable.
More by this Author
This is a recipe for prime rib encrusted with garlic. It is terrific for holidays and special occasions or as an 'ordinary day' indulgence. If you thought that you could only eat prime rib in the restaurants, this...
This hub discusses how to cook turkey wings with a slow cooker. This simple slow cooker recipe for turkey wings yields delicious results.
Delicious meatballs are possible without breadcrumbs! Whether you don't eat breadcrumbs or none are readily available, try this recipe plus a savory tomato sauce garnished with parsley and spices.