CCCorner's Oatmeal Pancakes
Oatmeal pancakes are usually made with uncooked oats mixed into the batter. Many recipes also call for buttermilk.
What makes this recipe unique is that oatmeal is made with whole or low fat milk and then added to the rest of the dry ingredients. This results in pancakes that are lighter...more like crepes. The addition of flax to the whole grain oats and spelt flour makes for a heart healthy recipe.
CCCorner's Oatmeal Pancakes(Makes 12-15 medium sized pancakes)
2 C Flour (I love spelt flour) 1/2 t Sea Salt
1/2 C Rolled Oats 1 t Baking Soda
1 C Water 2 t Baking Powder
2 T Ground Flax Seed 2 T Sugar
1 C Whole Milk (Low Fat Milk is fine too) 1 Large/X Large Egg (or 2 med eggs)
2 T Melted Butter (optional)
1. Combine the water, oats and ground flax in a small pan. Bring to a boil and then cover, reduce heat and cook for 3-4 minutes. Turn off and let the oatmeal cool.
2. In a mixing bowl sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
3. Pour the milk into the oatmeal mixture and stir. Then pour the entire oatmeal and milk mixture into the mixing bowl. Beat about a minute. Add the egg and melted butter and beat another minute. The batter should be a thick liquid consistency.
1. Heat the griddle (medium high heat) and spoon out batter to make desired size pancakes. The batter will spread out to form crepe like pancakes. Flip once the pancake is covered with bubbles and is nice and brown on the bottom and cook for a minute more.
2. Serve immediately. Garnish with butter and syrup or powdered sugar or honey or yogurt. Add sliced bananas or fresh berries if you like.
3. Cook up all the pancakes and freeze any extra pancakes for a quick healthy breakfast on workdays/schooldays.
More by this Author
Summertime can be an awesome time for parents and kids to connect. Kids are usually out of school and many parents like to save their vacation time so they can use it during the summer to be with their kids. So what...
shorts are too big so I pin them to fit... So I have this pair of structured shorts from the Gap. They are the perfect length and I love the color because it goes with so many of my tops and shoes. They...