Easy Chicken Recipe: CHICKEN POT PIE without the pie!
Chicken Pot Pie without the pie DECONSTRUCTED!
My husband Jack loves chicken pot pie. I do, too! From what I know, the pilgrims brought this dish to America. It used to have chicken gizzard and/or innards and whatever leftover veggies and other bird meat. Nowadays, the chicken pot pie we know is mostly cubed or shredded chicken breast and the pie crust is more often store-bought.
Much as my husband Jack loves the dish, he finds it messy to eat. We took our chances and just made the filling, without the gizzards and without the pie. Deconstructed! The result is – “yummylicious!” and clean to eat :)
2 Chicken breasts – without skin
5 pieces of Celery stalks
20 pieces of little Carrots
3 big Bell Peppers
1 big sweet Onion
1 big can of Chicken Stock
1 big can of Green Peas
2 small cans of Mushrooms
4 Dashes (each) of: Salt, Thyme & Garlic Salt
2.5 inches thick of Velveeta Cheese or any Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1. Wash all fresh veggies thoroughly. Cut into cubes.
2. Rinse chicken breasts. Lightly, sprinkle lemon juice. Shake excess liquid.
3. Cut chicken into cubes.
TIP: I cover my cutting board with aluminum foil because I don't have a separate cutting board for chicken.
4. Combine chicken, carrots and celery in pot filled halfway with cold water
5. Add 4 dashes of salt
6. Cover and let boil for 20 minutes. Stir frequently.
7. After boiling - let stand for 5 minutes - then DRAIN.
8. Open cans of mushrooms and green peas - drain.
9. Open can of chicken stock.
10. Add all remaining ingredients into the pot and stir in low fire.
11. Place the sliced Velveeta cheese or cheddar cheese.
12. Cover pot until cheese melts. Gently stir when cheese melted.
13. Let stand for 5 minutes and it’s done!
This recipe yields 8 servings. I let it cool completely then put it in separate containers to freeze. Frozen, it can last for several months and still taste great when reheated. I also put Parmesan cheese on top when serving. It’s a healthy and yummy meal!
Interested in sharing your recipes?
More by this Author
I have so many favorite saints. In this one, I am telling about St. Anthony who helped me retrieved many lost things and helped in my everyday life and get closer to JESUS.