CIVIL WAR PUNCH RECIPE
I came across this Civil War era recipe in an old book and I thought I would share it. This is nothing I would make, the combination is kind of odd. Who ever heard of cucumber in a punch recipe? Supposedly this was a favorite recipe of Jefferson Davis and was quite popular all over the South.
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups sugar, to taste
- 4 bottles claret
- 1 pint sherry
- 2/3 cup brandy
- 1/3 cup light rum
- 1/3 cup maraschino liqueur
- 2 large cucumbers
- 2 lemons
- 1 orange
- 1 bottle ginger ale
- 2 bottles sparkling water
- Slice cucumber thickly with peel still on. Cut lemons and orange into thin slices.
- Mix all ingredients except cucumber, lemons, orange, ginger ale and sparkling water at least 24 hours before serving. Not necessary to refrigerate.
- Place block of ice in punch bowl and add liquid. Add rest of the ingredients and pour mixture over block of ice to chill.
- Serve in punch cups, about 36 to 40 servings.
More by this Author
Humor has changed somewhat through the years but funny is still funny. I have been collecting some old jokes from about 1900 and I thought I would share a few. I have only included ones that are actually funny and I...
Large free cross stitch pattern of the painting, Mona Lisa.
Links to dozens of free cross stitch patterns, many based on vintage advertising images, especially fruit crate label designs.