Cake Decorating Flowers - How to Make Calla Lily Sugar Flowers from Sugar Paste
Calla Lily Sugar Flowers
Sugar paste calla lilies are some of the most elegant and easy to make cake decorating flowers around. They A sugarpaste calla lily can be made in a variety of sizes and is suitable for decorating wedding cakes or when used individually, as cupcake toppers.
Sugarpaste (or gum paste) calla lilies can be made in any colour so can be matched to what ever colour scheme the occasion demands - from the traditional white for a wedding cake topper to little multicoloured ones which would look great on Mothers Day Cupcakes.
If you're just starting out with sugar flowers then these are a great starting point as they are so simple yet so effective. Start out using sugar paste, then move to gum paste (sometimes known as flower paste) when you are a bit more confident. Gum paste sugar flowers are more realistic than fondant flowers, but the product is slightly harder to work with.
Once you've mastered there sugar paste lilies then give these sugar paste carnations a try.
How to Cut Out Your Lily
Calla Lily Sugar Paste Flower Instructions
You will need:
White sugar paste or gum paste (or whatever colour you want your lily to be)
Yellow sugar paste or gum paste
Green sugar paste or gum paste
A square cutter - of the size you want your lily to be
A round cutter bigger than your square cutter - alternatively a sharp knife can be used.
- Roll out your white sugar paste until it is big enough to cut out a square using your square cutter.
- Turn the square so it is diamond shaped in front of you i.e. you have one of the corners pointing to you as in the left hand side of the photo above.
- Using either a round cutter or a sharp knife carefully curve the sides as shown above until you have the shape on the right hand side of the image above.
- Roll out a small sausage of yellow sugar paste and place it vertically along the length of the lily shape ~ use some cooled boiled water to stick it in place.
- Dab some cooled boiled water along the curved edges at the bottom of the lily shape then gently fold them over so they cover the end of the yellow sugarpaste and meet in the middle.
- Shape the lily for a more natural look.
- Take some green sugar paste and roll it into a thin pencil and use this as the stalk, attaching it to your lily with a dab of cooled boiled water.
A Bunch of Sugar Calla Lilies
Displaying your Calla Lily Sugar Flowers
Your sugar paste calla lily flowers can be used individually on cup cakes or by using more than one, as a main cake decoration. Experiment with different sizes and different colours to create different effects.
Add leaves to your displays by following the same method up to point 3 above in green sugar paste.
Once you've mastered these not only will you be incredibly popular amongst your friends, you'll never have to buy another Mothers Day present as you'll be able to give beautiful boxes of hand-decorated cupcakes.
If you've enjoyed making these sugarpaste calla lilies and want to take your sugar flowers to the next level why not have a look at these cake decorating books for sugar flowers.
Other Cake Decorating Resources
- Ateco Cutters - Great for Cake Decorating
If you're serious about cake decorating or cookie making then Ateco Cutters are worth investing in. Made of high quality durable stainless steel these cookie dough and icing cutters go on producing top...
- Cupcake Stencils Create Fun Cupcakes
If you want to create beautifully decorated cupcakes and cookies, but aren't sure your artistic skills are up to it, then cupcake stencils are the answer. Cupcake and cookie decorating is great fun and is...
- Cake Stencils Make Cake Decorating Easy
Cake stencils make creating intricate designs on cakes a much easier and quicker process than doing them by hand. Cake stencilling is the art of applying a design to the top or sides of a cake using a...
- How to Use Dusting Sugar, Petal Dust and Lustre Dust...
Petal dust and lustre dust and dusting sugar are an easy way to add colour to cakes or cake decorations when you want to either vary the intensity of the colour or just add touches here and there. Petal...
- Piping Gel - How to Use Piping Gel in Cake Decoratin...
Piping Gel, if you haven't discovered it before, is a way to have a whole new level of fun while cake decorating. Simply put piping gel, or piping jelly as it's also called is a sugar based gel which can be...
- Edible Glitter and Spray for use in Cake Decorating
Nothing glams up a cake as much as the (subtle) use of edible glitter. Widely available and easy to use glitters, lustre's and petal dusting powders can be used to great effect on cakes, turning something...
- Cake Decorating Flowers - How to Make Sugar Paste Ca...
Cake decorating and learning how to make simple sugar paste flowers for cakes and cupcakes can be a very satisfying experience ~ not mention a very economic one as instead of expensive presents you can now...
Next Step - Making Gum Paste Calla Lilies
More by this Author
Piping gel opens up a whole new world of fun for cake decorating. Clear or colored it can be used to create amazing affects from castle moats to stained glass windows.
Edible glitter turns an ordinary cake into a sparkly, dazzling, glittering masterpiece. Use it to add subtle highlights, or to go completely glam ... edible glitter for cakes is just about the most fun you can have with...
If your cake sinks in the middle when you take it out of the oven, it doesn't mean you can't bake. It just means you need to make a few adjustments. Follow these easy tips to prevent/rescue it.