Camembert Leek and Pancetta Tart - Quick & Easy Recipe
Camembert Leek and Pancetta Pie made with Puff Pastry
How I Learned About this Delicious Camembert Tart:
I've always loved a good French camembert cheese, ever since I was a child, the stronger the better. Eating strong, ripe camembert seems to be a family tradition, as I've eaten some of the best slightly runny camembert at my cousins' home, where they always used to have a cheeseboard after a family gathering for dinner.
One sunny day last Summer, I was sitting in the garden having tea with my French friend. She is a magnificent cook, and when I mentioned the word "camembert", she perked up immediately and launched into the details of how to cook this wonderful tart, using just four ingredients -
- Puff Pastry
I was intrigued, and had to try it the next day.
Most of the French people I know (not very many, actually) are gourmets, so if you are a gourmet too, I think you'll love this quiche as much as I did when I tried it. Definitely one to repeat.
I might try it with goats milk cheese next time, just to experiment, although, when you've achieved perfection, I suppose it's a bit daft not to stick with what you know will work. But that's just me, an adventurous cook.
I was intrigued, and had to try it the next day
Most of the French people I know (not very many, actually) are gourmets, so if you are a gourmet too, I think you'll like this Camembert Leek and Pancetta Tart
A lovely ripe French Camembert
You can rate this Camembert Leek and Pancetta Tart here
Equipment for Making for Camembert Leek and Pancetta Pie
- Frying Pan
- Kitchen knife
- Wooden spoon
- 9 inch Pie Dish
- Chopping board
Amazon has a Wide Choice of Pie dishes
A packet of Pancetta
Ingredients for Camembert Leek and Pancetta Pie
- 3/4 - 1 Camembert, (depending how strong you want it). It should be refrigerated before use
- 2 - 3 leeks, Including dark green parts
- 4 oz pancetta (or thinly sliced bacon)
- 1 packet ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 blob Butter or Cooking Oil
- A sprinkle of seasoning to taste - could be salt, black pepper and/or chilli flakes, Optional, as this already has a strong flavor
- Variations: You can vary by adding the following:
- 1/2 Chopped onion (optional)
- a different cheese (optional)
- Use bacon if you haven't got pancetta
Leeks Sweating in Butter
Pancetta Frying in Oil
Camembert Leek and Pancetta Pie Before Cooking in the Oven
Instructions for Making Camembert Leek and Pancetta Pie
- Cut up the leaks into small slices. Melt a blob of butter in the saucepan and add the leeks, cooking them gently on a low heat (sweating them) for 5-10 minutes to soften them. Let them cool a little.
- Meanwhile grease a frying pan with a drop of butter or oil and fry the pancetta until crispy. Be careful because it cooks very quickly
- Grease the pie dish or line it with greaseproof paper. Lay the ready-rolled pastry in the dish, pressing down at the edges so that it fits the dish well. Press down the edges with your thumbs or a fork to make a pattern round the edge, and cut away the excess pastry with a knife. Paint the edge with egg yolk or milk.
- Lay the par-cooked leeks on the bottom, then cut up the cooked pancetta into pieces and mix them with the leeks. Sprinkle with seasoning to your taste.Slice the camembert finely and lay all the slices over the leeks and pancetta, covering the whole surface, using the whole camembert for a stronger flavor or less camembert if you prefer a mild flavor.
- Place the pie in a pre-heated oven Gas Mark 6 (medium heat) for 15-20 minutes, until the pastry is light brown in color and the camembert has melted. You will find the rind of the cheese showing, but it adds to the rough look of this dish.
- It tastes best if you leave it to cool slightly for about 5-10 minutes and then eat it straight away. Best eaten slightly warm.
- Serve with a salad and a glass of cold white wine. The Camembert quiche or tart will keep for a couple of days, if necessary, but the pastry goes slightly soggy.
Camembert Leek and Pancetta Tart Served on a Plate
Lets see how many of you like smelly cheese
Do you like strong cheeses?See results without voting
More by this Author
Oven baked baby tomatoes is a very easy recipe, suitable for an inexperienced cook. Use as an appetizer, spread, sauce, covering for meat or fish, or an omelette filling. Do the Quiz
- 13How to Make Easy Stuffed Eggplant or Aubergine: a Recipe for Vegetarian and Non-Vegetarian Food Lovers
An easy recipe for crispy, aromatic Baked Stuffed Aubergine - a delicious vegetarian dish,which you can use for a starter, a main course, or as an accompaniment to meat; also a quiz, poll and videos
Butternut Squash Soup is slightly sweet, and can be eaten hot or cold. It is very easy to prepare, and the whole process can be done in 20 minutes. It is therefore a good recipe for the inexperienced cook. Simple...