Candy Cane Recipe: Peppermint Marshmallow Pie
For this Holiday Dessert recipe:
Based on S'mores
When the campfires of summer have disappeared and the yearning for S'mores have reappeared in the wake of the cold, winter nights, a wonderful recipe that mimics the gooey concoction of marshmallow and chocolate is this Peppermint Marshmallow pie.
Since I already had the ingredients and wanted to add a festive flair to it, I crushed candy canes and added them into the chocolate and the marshmallow mixture. Decorate the top of the pie with a few candy cane pieces and present this to your holiday table for your guests to enjoy.
An alternative to this 'pie' form is to make it into a square baking dish and slice the pieces into bars. In that version you will have to create the graham cracker crust yourself by crushing the graham crackers and adding butter and sugar to the mixture; then, pressing it into the pan.
In this version the pie crust was purchased already set. Getting the marshmallow topping on was the most challenging part of the recipe. But, it is delicious.
Peppermint Marshmallow Pie
- 1 (9 inch) graham cracker pie crust, ready made or make your own
- 2 jars (7 oz each) marshmallow fluff, any brand
- 1 12 oz pkg bittersweet chocolate morsels, any brand
- 1/3 C whipping cream, any brand
- 3 T butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 candy canes, peppermint flavor
Important Cooking Note
I refrigerate the pie after making, but when I remove a slice I heat it up in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds. It warms the chocolate and makes the marshmallow gooey and oh, so yummy.
How to make a Peppermint Marshmallow Pie
- In a double boiler place the water on medium low-don't let it boil Place the whipping cream in the top section and add the butter to melt and mix together.
- While the cream and butter are blending, crush the candy canes between wax paper. Note: I covered a hammer with a dishcloth and tapped it gently on the candy. Make sure the pieces are small enough to blend into the marshmallow.
- Empty the marshmallow into a mixing bowl and add the peppermint candy mixing thoroughly.
- When the cream and butter have blended add the chocolate pieces and stir until melted.
- Pour the chocolate into the graham cracker pie shell. Add the marshmallow on the top. Decorate with candy cane pieces. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Remove and cut into pieces. Because this is such a rich dessert you may consider slicing very thin pieces or risk chocolate overload! Enjoy.
Steps:Click thumbnail to view full-size
More by this Author
The Rival Roaster Oven is my favorite Rival product and a 'must-have' for holiday and large group entertaining. It is convenient, cleans easily and frees up space. You won't be disappointed.
Graham crackers are a versatile food-satisfying, a quick snack, and easy to keep. Here are 7 ways to use graham crackers for a sweet treat or holiday decoration.
If you're in a hurry to go out and don't have time to wash clothes, follow these proven tips to make dirty clothes smell clean (and fool those standing near you!).