This recipe for Cantonese Pork offers a way to prepare pork that mushroom lovers will enjoy. The sauce is a little sweet, but not overly so. It's a perfect blend of flavors that complement each other to pleasure the palate. Prep time can be cut in half by using a food processor for chopping peppers, onions and mushrooms, but even if you don't have a food processor, this dish can be on the table within an hour from start to finish.
This recipe makes 8 servings.
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds pork steak 1/2" thick, cut into strips
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 small green pepper cut into strips
- 1 - 1 1/2 pound chopped mushrooms
- 16 oz. frozen stir fry vegetables (I use Asparagus Stir Fry available at Wal Mart)
- 8 ounces can tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce (optional)
Once you chopped and sliced all your ingredients follow these steps:
- Brown pork strips in oil in skillet
- Add onion and green pepper and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms
- When mushrooms start to release liquid add tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, salt (and Worcestershire sauce).
- Add package of frozen vegetables in the last 10 minutes.
Serve over rice of your choice. If you like more sauce, you can double the tomato sauce, sugar, vinegar and salt.
Crock Pot Cantonese Pork
This recipe can easily be converted to a crock pot recipe.
- Brown pork strips in oil.
- Drain excess oil on paper towels.
- Place pork strips and remaining ingredients into crock pot. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours (or on high for 4 hours).
Serve over hot fluffy bed of rice.
More of My Recipes
- Smothered Steak in Gravy
Steak smothered in gravy and fresh vegetables is an attractive savory dish that can be tweaked to fit your family's preferences.
Pierogies are a delicious Polish dumpling. My great-grandmother learned to make them for her husband, and today for our family they are a traditional dish served for holidays.
- How to Make Popcorn Balls
Popcorn balls don't have to be limited to Halloween. They are a fun treat to make with the kids as a yummy craft project that doesn't take long to complete. When you do this, don't worry about trying to make perfect spheres.
More by this Author
Take this little quiz to find out just what you know about the classic Christmas movies.
Baby cockatiels grow from an inch-long hatchling to adult size in just six weeks. It takes 8-10 days for their eyes to open, but the color of their eyes...even closed eyes offer a clue as to the baby's future color.
Bird owners have mixed feelings about wing clipping. Is it mean to clip your bird's wings? After all they are born to fly. To answer that question, let's take a closer look at how to clip wings and the reasons it is...