Carb Diva Yukon Gold Pizza
Do you surf the internet? What are your favorite sites? One of my daughters loves Pinterest and pins ideas on home décor, crafts, and gardening. My older daughter likes video games, trains, and anything "Disney". My husband likes cars and websites about travel.
I look at recipes.
I have noticed a recent trend in "potato pizza". OK, I think that could be pretty tasty. I LOVE potatoes. But potatoes on top of a bread crust just sounds rather heavy. I have also seen recipes for pizza made with a puff pastry crust.
Why not combine the two?
- 1/2 of a 17.3-oz. pkg Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets, (1 sheet), thawed
- 3 medium (about 1 lb.) Yukon Gold (waxy) potatoes
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 jar Alfredo pasta sauce
- 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano, shaved
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll the pastry sheet into a 14x12-inch rectangle. Place the pastry onto a baking sheet. Brush the edges of the pastry with water. Fold over the edges 1/2 inch on all sides, crimping with a fork to form a rim. Prick the center of the pastry thoroughly with a fork. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- While the pastry is chilling, prepare the potatoes. Cut the potatoes into 1/4-inch slices. Fill a large pot with the potato slices. Add enough water to cover the potatoes. Add two teaspoons of salt to the water and place the pot over a high flame. Once the water boils, reduce the heat to medium and cover. Check the potatoes after about 5 minutes--you want them to be crisp-tender because they will cook on top of the pizza.
- Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat; sauté the onions until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in the rosemary. Cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Spoon the onion mixture onto the pastry. Cover it with the potato slices, then drizzle with the Alfredo sauce.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Remove from the oven and top with the shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Let the pastry cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Top with torn arugula and serve.
- NOTE: For those who MUST have meat on their pizza, top with crisp cooked crumbled bacon or a bit of prosciutto.
© 2013 Carb Diva
More by this Author
What makes a perfect pork chop? Most are dry and tough. Let me show you how to achieve a perfectly moist, tender pork chop that will melt-in-your-mouth.
Pumpkin Bisque--How many ways can we make you? Sweet, savory, vegetarian? I have something for everyone--even carnivores will love these recipes.
Sugar cookies--a traditional Christmas treat, but years ago they were not so sweet and not much of a treat. Learn how they have evolved over the centuries and how to bake and decorate them like a pro.