Caribbean rice and peas recipe. An easy and delicious side dish!
The perfect summer meal
Caribbean rice and peas is an essential side dish to any tropical meal. Be careful though, as this rice dish may steal the show!
Try a great easy grilled jerk chicken with this Caribbean rice and peas with some fresh sweet corn on the cob for an easy summer BBQ menu. You will love the tastes of the Caribbean.
This rice goes beautifully with any fruit salsa or chutneys as well.
Most recipes will have you cook the rice in the coconut milk, but I think this way is better and easier, and is a great way to use up leftover rice as well.
Caribbean rice and peas
- 3 cups cooked rice (cold leftover rice is OK)
- 3/4 cups of coconut milk
- A couple shakes of dried thyme, or three or four fresh sprigs
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup red kidney beans, canned are OK
Easy Instructions to Rice N' Peas
- Heat a good heavy skillet or fry pan over medium and add about a spoonful of vegetable oil. When hot, add the garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds.
- Immediately add the coconut milk, the thyme and the kidney beans, along with a couple of pinches of salt, and bring to a boil.
- Boil for a couple of minutes, until the coconut milk has reduced by more than half.
- Add in the rice, and mash it around until it uniformly absorbs the coconut milk.
- Add salt to taste.
That's it. If you have some leftover rice on hand, this can be made in about 5 minutes...and it is really good.
Serve with your favorite grilled Caribbean meat, with a Cuban beef stew or any Caribbean curry.
I'm partial to jasmine style Thai rice, but any white rice will work well. You can use minute rice, but all your rice dishes will be MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better if you boil your own rice. If you make a lot of rice, get an inexpensive rice cooker for really hassle free perfect rice every time
A video demonstration of making rice and peas
- Smoky BBQ jerk chicken wings! Man, these are delicio...
Smoky jerk chicken wings Most of us love a good jerk chicken; but when most of us cook some jerk at home, we do it over direct heat, on the BBQ grill. This isn’t exactly authentic, and true jerk...
- Homemade Jerk marindade recipe. Get Jamaican at your...
It's pretty hard to resist the sweet and spicy aromas of jerked meat grilled over a smoky BBQ. The floral heat and the complex spices make this a classic dish, and the perfect meal for any hot summer...
- Caribbean Coconut Shrimp Dip Recipe. A Great Spicy S...
An easy Caribbean coconut shrimp and chili dip recipe. Perfect for easy entertaining and a taste of sunshine in the depths of winter.
More by this Author
It's pretty hard to resist the sweet and spicy aromas of jerked meat grilled over a smoky BBQ. The floral heat and the complex spices make this a classic dish, and the perfect meal for any hot summer backyard BBQ. ...
Easy papaya hot sauce This is a great 15 minute hot table sauce and will compliment any Caribbean, Indian, or general grilled meats very well. The sauce is very easy to make, and ads an exotic twist to everyday...
Before the invention of oil thermometers, cooks figured out simple ways to check oil temperature for safe deep frying. Now those secret tricks can be yours!