Carrot Cake With Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
Who doesn’t like carrot cake?
Carrot cake has always been one of the most popular dessert cakes in North America. If you've never tried carrot cake, I highly recommend it.
I've been making this recipe for many years now, and have never found a better one. It is moist, flavorful, and a definite crowd-pleaser. There are several ways you can make this cake, and decorate it for any occasion. Ideas or suggestions will be included below.
Whenever I bake I like to measure all the ingredients out before starting. This way I’m sure to have everything needed for the recipe. There’s nothing worse than being in the middle of making a recipe and realizing you’re short an ingredient, or missing something. It is also much easier to have all the ingredients in front of you while making the recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups of corn oil
- 1 3/4 cups of granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. of baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 3 tsp. of cinnamon
- 1 tsp. of ground cloves
- 2 cups of grated carrots
- 1/2 - 1 cup of walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 8 ounces of pineapple, crushed and drained
- Grease and flour two round cake pans. Preheat oven to 350°F
- Start to drain the pineapple by putting it into a sieve or strainer with bowl under to catch the pineapple juice.
- Peel and grate carrots until you have two cups grated.
- In a large bowl beat together 1 1/2 cups of corn oil with 1 3/4 cups of sugar and 3 eggs. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl sift together 2 cups of flour with 2 tsp. of baking soda, 1/2 tsp. of salt, 3 tsp. of cinnamon, and 1 tsp. of ground cloves. Add this to the large bowl with egg mixture. Stir and mix well.
- Add the 2 cups of grated carrots and mix well. Add walnuts and the strained crushed pineapple mixing well.
- Pour the batter into the two greased and floured cake pans.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean.
- Cool both cakes for five minutes then transfer onto racks to cool.
Fluffiest Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 - 8 ounce packages of cream cheese
- 1 cup of powdered sugar or icing sugar
- 1 tsp. of vanilla
- 1 cup of flaked coconut
Instructions For Frosting
- Cream together in a medium sized bowl the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla.
- With an electric hand mixer beat all ingredients until fluffy.
- With one part of the cake on a cake plate frost the middle of the cake. Don't overdue the frosting or you'll run out.
- Place the second cake on top and frost.
- Sprinkle with shredded coconut. (optional)
Carrot Cake with cream cheese frosting and coconut
|Serving size: 1/8th of cake|
|Calories from Fat||540|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 60 g||92%|
|Carbohydrates 77 g||26%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Who's for cake?
Helpful Hand Mixer
Options and ideas
- This carrot cake can be made in a bunt pan.
- For the 4th of July you may want to add blueberries and cherries to the top of the cake rather than coconut.
- For Canada Day, add cherries on top of the coconut.
- Carrot candies go very nicely in the center of the cake.
- I've made this cake for wedding and baby showers.
- Cupcakes can be made with this exact recipe perhaps for a child's birthday party.
- To transport the cake safely (if you do not already have a cake carrier) you can buy one at various dollar stores.
What is your favorite type of cake?See results without voting
More by this Author
6 ingredients for this fast delicious chocolate fudge. Easy to follow recipe with pictures.
Decadent cheesecake with easy to follow instructions. Serves 20 - 30 people.
Not using your silver or your silver flatware because it is tarnished and too hard to clean? With Tarn-X it can be shiny and looking brand new within minutes. See how easily I cleaned mine that is over 55 years old.