Baked Carrot Fries: A Healthy Alternative to French Fries
As much as I enjoy my healthy eats, I must admit -- there are not many foods that can beat a well-made French fry. Warm, salty, and limp with oil fresh from the deep fryer, good quality French fries are delicious. Not at all nutritious, of course, but tasty nonetheless. Unfortunately, the French fry's less-than-stellar nutritional statistics make this delicacy a very rare indulgence.
However, when I feel in the mood for a good fry, I am not without recourse. As unlikely as they might sound, baked carrot fries are a simple and healthy alternative to the tradition grease-laden fry. Packed with vitamins but without the excess trans fats and starchy carbohydrates, carrot fries are a delicious way to satisfy a French fry craving.
Here's what I do. Select some nice, fat carrots. I typically use 4-6 carrots to make a single serving. Cut the carrots into matchsticks. Throw the cut carrots onto a greased cookie sheet and and toss with canola oil (or another preferred oil), or simply spray with cooking spary.
Next, sprinkle on some spices (see below for ideas). Put the whole sheet
into an oven preheated to 425*F. Bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until the
carrot fries have reached the crispiness of your choosing. A minute or two under the broiler can lend a nice texture as well.
Although carrot fries are delicious plain or with a light sprinkle of sea salt and pepper, here are some other spice options to play with:
- garlic powder
- chili powder
- cumin with garlic and onion powders
- chili powder with cinnamon
- sea salt, pepper, and cinnamon
- maple syrup and cinnamon
- garam masala (or curry powder)
- basil and oregano
- paprika and sea salt/garlic powder
- seasoned salt and cinnamon
Serve plain or drizzled with ketchup or barbecue sauce.
Live Healthy: Tips & Resources
- Let Them Eat Hummus: 5 Healthy Recipes
- Get Snacky: The Importance of Snacks in Children's Diets
- The Not-So-Secret Key to Weight Loss
- Kitchen Courage: Eating right, living well
- Male Home Fitness Stars: Kendell Hogan and Billy Blanks
- High Heart Rate, Low Impact: 3 Cardio Workout Videos
- Hula Hooping: A Holistic Fitness and Weight Loss Practice
- Stretch Island Fruit Company: Two Product Reviews
Discover the Perfect Spices For Carrot Fries
More by this Author
Not natural: an advertisement for sugar-free Chupa Chups lollipops. I love to blend. Hummus, smoothies, ice cream bases, it's all good. Recently I discovered a new blendable food item -- cream cheese. Excited, I...
The PlayStation 2 Slim boasts some obvious upgrades. Plus the Slim comes in a sweet and sexy silver version. But do these improvements warrant shelling out another $99.95 for those who already own the original...
I never planned to be the owner of a toy dog breed. When I revealed to my boss that my husband and I had adopted a chihuahua, a puzzled frown creased his face. "I can't see you as a small dog person," he...