Casseroles and Hotdishes, Oh My!
Yummy for your tummy
Easy Two Cheese Macaroni
- 1 1/2 C Elbow Macaroni
- 1/2 C (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided
- 1/4 C all-purpose flour
- 3 C Whole Milk
- 3/4 C shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 34 C shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 C Bread Crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Boil water in large saucepan, cook macaroni according to package instructions.
- Melt 5 Tbsp butter in medium saucepan. Add flour, cook over low heat, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove from heat and gradually whisk in the milk a little at a time. Return to boil stirring constantly, until thick.
- Remove from heat, stir in Monterey Jack, Cheddar, salt and Cayenne. Drain macaroni and stir into sauce. Transfer mix to large oven-safe dish.
- Melt remaining butter in med. skillet. Add breat crumbs and heat 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Spoon crumbs over macaroni, bake until golden, about 15-20 minutes.
You could also add:
- 3 1/2 oz. chopped cooked bacon and 3 1/2 oz. spinach leaves to saucepan in step 3, stir into sauce.
- Sliced hot dogs
- Tuna Fish
- A Tbsp of mustard for a little "kick"
- Chopped chicken breast and peas
Cheesy Potato Bake
- 2 lb potatoes, peeled an thinly sliced
- 1/4 C. butter (1/2 stick)
- 4 leeks, trimmed and sliced
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 C. Milk
- 1/2 C half and half
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 oz. Cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Boil potatoes for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Layer one third over the bottom of a large, greased, oven proof dish. Set aside the remaining potatoes.
- Melt half the butter in a large skillet and cook the leeks until softened, 4-5 minutes. Spoon leeks over potatoes in the dish to cover.
- Melt remaining butter in med. saucepan. Add flour and cook for one minute. Remove from heat and gradually blend in the milk and half and half. Bring to boil, stirring constantly, then simmer one minute.
- Pour half the sauce over the leeks. Layer remaining potatoes on top. Spoon remaining sauce over potatoes. Add salt an pepper. Sprinkle cheddar on top, bake 40 minutes.
You could also:
- Omit the Cayenne pepper
- Add cubed ham
- Add any other cheese you like
- Add 1/4 C. Ranch Dressing
- Add 1/2 chopped onion
Minnesota Wild Rice Casserole
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (4.5 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3/4 cup cashew pieces
- Chopped fresh parsley
- In a skillet, brown chicken and celery in butter. In a large bowl, combine soup and broth until smooth. Add the mushrooms, onion, rice, poultry seasoning and chicken mixture. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour. Uncover and bake for 30 minutes. Stir; sprinkle with cashews. Return to the oven for 15 minutes or until the rice is tender. Garnish with parsley.
More by this Author
What type of beard, mustache, goatee are you wearing? Here's what's sexy....
Ever had an experience with ghosts or other supernatural entities? I've had several interesting experiences with ghosts and I've written about some of them here. Please come and share your stories with me too!
Fashion from the 1980's has made its inevitable return to our closets. Fluorescent, big belts, big earrings, big hair, denim jackets, peace signs, leg warmers, ruffles, color coordination and crazy patterns are some of...