Mexican Food: Pechuga Monterrey Recipe (Chicken)
Pechuga Monterrey is a delicious and eye catching chicken recipe I have been making for over 22 years. This recipe is flexible and can be easily altered to suit most tastes. This dish can serve 4 - 6 people for under $10.
A Brief Spanish Lesson:
Pollo, means chicken in spanish. Pollo usually refers to the food product and gallina refers to the animal, or hen.
Pechuga, means breast - chicken breast. The term would change when referring to humans.
Monterrey, is a city in Mexico's northern state of Nuevo León. Monterrey has many beautiful landmarks and lies South West of the the South Texas border.
Pechuga Monterrey Recipe
- 4 to 6 skinless and boneless chicken breasts
- 4 cups sliced red, orange and yellow peppers
- 1/2 medium sliced onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded colby-jack cheese
- garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- Add 1 Tablespoon of canola oil to a medium/large skillet. Set the heat to medium.
- Place chicken in the skillet. Take care to have the chicken evenly spaced. Avoid overlapping.
- Sprinkle a dash of garlic powder over the chicken. Cover and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Slice red, orange and yellow peppers and half of a medium onion. The total should yield about 4 cups.
- Slice one cup of mushrooms
- Check chicken for doneness. Once it is ready, cover the chicken with all of the vegetables. Cover again and allow the vegetables to steam for about 5 minutes. (you may want to reduce the heat to low)
- Uncover the prepared chicken and steamed vegetables. Cover with one cup of shredded colby-jack cheese. Cover with a lid for about 5 minutes while the cheese melts. Prepare serving dishes.
- Using a large spatula, slide under the full piece of the chicken breast and lift onto your serving platter or dinner plate. Be sure to keep as many of the steamed cheesy veggies on the chicken. ENJOY!
Photo tutorial: Pechuga MonterreyClick thumbnail to view full-size
Mexican Food Recipes
Sauteed veggies, spices and chicken alternatives
- An alternative would be to sauté the sliced vegetables with butter, garlic and mesquite flavored liquid smoke. Add the sautéed veggies over the cooked chicken and then cover with the shredded colby-jack cheese prior to serving. This variation adds a rich smoky flavor that blends beautifully with the chicken and cheese.
- Chicken breasts can be substituted with chicken tenders or thighs. Chicken thighs are juicier and an inexpensive alternative when selecting cuts of chicken.
- Cook the chicken over a mesquite wood grill instead of a skillet. The flavor is undeniably delicious!
- Add chopped cilantro to veggies for added authentic flavor.
- Add one un-chopped serrano pepper to the chicken as it is simmering. It will add the wonderful pepper taste without the heat on your taste-buds.
- Add a dash of ground cumin powder for added flavor.
All of MissOlive's Hubs are authored by, Marisa Hammond Olivares
all rights reserved
More by this Author
Fideo con pollo is also known as vermicelli with chicken. This dish is budget friendly and tasty. You can feed a family of 4 - 6 people for under $10.
Fideo con carne y papas is a great family dish that tastes great and can feed 4-6 family members for under $10. Includes instructions and photo tutorial.
Natural vasodilators. The nitrates and minerals in certain foods lower blood pressure. The foods that show the most effective results are high in potassium, magnesium, nitrates and calcium. Read for a food list of foods...