Mexican Food: Fideo con Pollo Recipe (Vermicelli with Chicken)
Chicken with Vermicelli Recipe
Fideo con pollo is a hearty dish that will warm your family for years to come. Fideo con pollo is perfect for lunch or dinner and can easily serve a family of 4 - 6 for under $10.
Fideo is a common staple in many Mexican kitchens. It can be prepared alone, with vegetables, beef or chicken. Fideo is usually stir fried with a small amount of oil to a golden brown and then immersed in liquids such as, broths, sauces or flavored bouillon. The fideo soaks up the liquid and becomes a plump pasta.
Over the years, I have tasted many versions of fideo. I've never seen fideo made exactly the same way in the each of the homes I have visited. Some fideos are soupy, while others are dry. Preparation is unique to the preparer and can be customized to the tastes of the family. I've never had a fideo I didn't like.
Easy Fideo con Pollo Recipe
- 6 boneless chicken thighs
- 1 5 oz. box fideo (vermicelli)
- 1 Tablespoon Knorr: Caldo de Tomate, Tomato Boullion with Chicken Flavor
- 2 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- Garlic Powder
Knorr: Caldo de Tomate
Knorr: caldo de tomate - substitute. If you are unable to locate Knorr Tomato Boullion, you may use a homemade or store bought chicken broth of your choice. Consider adding tomato and a bit of garlic and cumin for flavor.
- Add 1 tablespoon canola oil to a medium skillet and set to medium heat. Add chicken thighs and spread evenly in the skillet. Add a dash of garlic powder to the chicken.
- Cover the chicken and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon canola oil to a medium skillet and set the heat to medium. Add the fideo (vermicelli) and stir fry until golden brown.
- Once the chicken is cooked remove the cover and add the browned fideo over the chicken.
- Add one cup of frozen peas and carrots over the fideo.
- Add 1 tablespoon tomato bouillon to 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil in the microwave or in a saucepan.
- Pour the boiling bouillon over the fideo and chicken mixture. Raise the heat to medium/high and bring the whole mixture to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to low.
- Allow the fideo and chicken mixture 10 minutes to simmer and absorb the broth.
- Serve fideo in soup or chili bowls. Enjoy!
Photo Tutorial: Fideo con Pollo
What is fideo?
Fideo is a pasta, a macaroni product. According to wikipedia, fideo originated in Spain.
Vegetable additions that go great with fideo:
- corn (kernel or cob)
- peeled potato chunks
- chopped carrots
- red, yellow or green pepper
- stew meat
- chicken tenders
- cubed pork
Spices and herbs:
- Add a sprig of cilantro to the bouillon mixture for added flavor.
- Add a whole chile serrano (green chile) for flavor without the heat. (increase the spicy heat factor by chopping the pepper into the broth)
- Add a dash of ground cumin.
- Add ground pepper to taste.
Video: How to Make Fideo
All of MissOlive's Hubs are authored by, Marisa Hammond Olivares
all rights reserved
More by this Author
Mexican food is delicious and economical. Pechuga Monterrey will delight your taste-buds with eye catching steamed veggies and melted colby-jack cheese. This recipe includes a picture tutorial and step by step...
Fideo con carne y papas is a great family dish that tastes great and can feed 4-6 family members for under $10. Includes instructions and photo tutorial.
Natural vasodilators. The nitrates and minerals in certain foods lower blood pressure. The foods that show the most effective results are high in potassium, magnesium, nitrates and calcium. Read for a food list of foods...