Cheddar Cheese Soup Recipe
Wait for a day cold enough to leave your cheeks stinging for a few moments after your return home. Take a look in the fridge and gaze over at that hunk of good old sharp cheddar cheese in the fridge door – and know you’ve got what you need for an exceptional, full meal, winter soup!
Cheddar cheese soup - The name says it all – it’s about as rich and hearty as soup can get and it’s a perfect meal for a winter’s day.
This is a recipe I like a lot; one I’ve modified slightly but got originally from the New Joy of Cooking, way back in the day. It’s not a soup I make all that often, but when I do, I always love it.
Cheddar Cheese Soup
- ½ cup of butter
- 1/3 cup of flour
- 1 cup of finely chopped onions, carrots and celery
- 5 cups of chicken stock (homemade is best, but a low salt canned stock will work fine here as well)
- 1 cup of table cream (half and half)
- ½ pound plus a little bit more of sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp of dry mustard (I often just use 2 tsps of Dijon mustard instead)
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Melt the butter in a heavy sauce pan and when melted add in the diced vegetables. Cook stirring, over medium, until the vegetables are somewhat tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in your flour and stir it very well, until it has combined with the butter to form a completely mixed roux. Let the roux cook until slightly golden, about 2 minutes. (See the video below for more information on making a roux)
- Add in the chicken stock and bring it to a boil, stirring very often, to incorporate all the flour into the soup. Bring the heat down to a simmer and stirring often, cook it until it has thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Add in the cream, cheese, mustard and cayenne, and stir until the cheese has melted through. Do not let the soup boil after you’ve added the cheese, as it can get greasy if you do.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
Serve with good bread and a green salad for a very hearty, winter meal.
More Soup Recipes
- 1 Minute Sweet Potato and Coconut Soup. A Very Easy ...
A fantastic vegetarian sweet potato and coconut soup that can be made in seconds with leftover sweet potatoes from yesterday's dinner!
- Creamy Sweet Potato Soup. A Few Good Ingredients and...
Although I spent a lot longer cooking up the turkey and all the sides for this year's Christmas dinner, it was this simple soup that I served as a starter that won the most praise. And it is very good. A...
Making a Roux
More by this Author
A delicious recipe for an easy roasted harvest vegetable soup
An easy but delicious potato and leek soup recipe with detailed instructions.
Before the invention of oil thermometers, cooks figured out simple ways to check oil temperature for safe deep frying. Now those secret tricks can be yours!