Cheese and bacon buns or scrolls
This is a delicious lunch time treat that was inspired by Peter Reinhardt's "Bread Bakers Apprentice" recipe of cinnamon scrolls. This recipes fillings are only limited by your imagination. Add cooked bacon, pancetta, pesto... mozzarella... go on find a new combination.
2 oz of butter
1 teaspoon sugar (scant)
1 teaspoon salt (scant)
0.25 oz of yeast
1 lb flour (bread flour high protein content)
9 oz of milk
3 tablesppon tomato paste
125 of cheddar cheese
1. Combine butter, sugar and salt until evenly mixed
2. Add flour and yeast, egg and then add milk
3. Knead until it passes the window pane test
4. Allow to rise for 1.5 to 2 hrs
5. Roll out in a rectangle until 1.5 cm thick
6. Spread on tomato paste and then sprinkle on cheese
7. Roll tightly into a sausage. cut into 9 even pieces
8. Place into a baking dish. Allow space around each scroll for expansion.
9. Place in fridge for up to three days. Place on bench 1.5hrs before cooking. Preheat oven 10 minutes then cook for 20-25 min at 200 0C
10. If you want to them on the day that they are made allow second rise 40 min to an hour. Preheat oven for 10 min and then cook for 20-25 min in an oven at 200 0C
Eat whilst warm:)
More by this Author
Growing herbs in a tropical climate can be challenging but oh so rewarding! So come on down and have a go!