Cherry and berry compote: fruit dessert recipe
Fresh fruit compote is a must have dessert during the summer months, making good use of the abundance of fresh fruits that are available from the garden or local greengrocers. This recipe was made from a bowl of fruit that was picked, cooked and eaten all in one day!
The principal ingredients here are cherries, assorted berries and rhubarb, but you can mix and match with whatever you have available. Fresh fruit is nicer, however frozen berries will work equally as well if fresh are not available.
- 1 lb (500 grams) mixed fresh soft fruits, such as:
- cherries (about 1/3 of total fruit), blueberries
- loganberries, raspberries, blackcurrants
- 1 stalk rhubarb
- optional extras: strawberries, redcurrants
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 1 oz (50 g) butter
- 1/2 stick cinnamon
- 2 pieces star anise
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- Prepare the fruit (if using fresh fruit) - wash and destalk the cherries and berries, remove stones from cherries, and wash and chop the rhubarb into bite sized pieces. For this recipe I used about one third cherries, one large stalk of rhubarb and a mixture of loganberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackcurrants.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, then stir in the sugar until dissolved. Add the cinnamon and star anise and the prepared fruit. If you do not have these spices then a teaspoon of ground cinnamon or mixed spice will do the trick.
- Bring to the boil on a low heat and simmer until all fruit is soft. Do not overcook so that the fruit becomes mushy. Taste for sweetness, some fruit is more tart, such as the rhubarb and blackcurrants, and may need a little extra sugar or honey.
- Add the juice of half a lemon, and allow the mixture to cool a little before serving. It is delicious served warm with ice cream, or can be chilled and served with yogurt, mascarpone or cream.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream
Serve with sliced and frozen bananas
Serve with a dollop of creamy mascarpone cheese and a slice of shortcake
Add to rice pudding
Serve with fresh whipped cream
Use as a filling for pancakes (see my pancake recipe)
More by this Author
A step by step recipe to make delicious home made traditional Easter biscuits.
Blackcurrant sorbet with peppermint is the most refreshing and delicious dessert. Perfect on a hot summer's day.
How to make a completely vegetarian Christmas dinner, with a delicious recipe for nut roast that can be served alongside or instead of a traditional turkey roast.