Chicago Vegetarian Diner Meals and Recipe
This recipe is for a popular gravy served in several Chicago area diners that specialize in vegetarian foods. The gravy is all vegetarian and can be used with many dishes, both vegetarian and meat-containing.
Recipe for Chicago Vegetarian Diner Gravy
Start with the Dry Ingredients
- 2 1/2 cups yeast
- 1/3 cup dried parsley flakes
- 2 Tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 Tablespoons onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried dill weed
- 3 tablespoons celery seed
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix. ingredients well. Make an extra batch and store in a covered, clean glass jar for the future.
Now Make a Good Roux
A roux is equal parts fat and flour.
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or whatever you like best)
- 1/2 cup flour, your choice but not self rising!
Using a medium sized saucepan, heat the EVOO over moderately high heat. Next, whisk in the flour and remember to whisk to blend the flour and oil. Continue whisking until the roux is a light brown and has a nutty-like smell. Take it off the heat now before it burns.
- 4 cups water or light vegetable stock (non vegetarians can use chicken stock)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium spy sauce
- 1/3 cup of the special mixture you made out of the Dry Ingredients above.
In a large pot, combine all of these base ingredients and heat slowly to a point just above simmering over moderate heat. Next, take the roux that is waiting to the side and slowly and thoroughly whisk it into the mixture in the pot a little at a time. Don't add more until the first batch is completely bended in. Now, continue to heat the entire mixture until it is as thick as you want it to be.
Taste the gravy and re-season as necessary. You can even add a little heat (a pinch of fine ground red pepper) if you wish, depending what you will pour this gravy onto. Don't overdo it, though. You can always add hot sauce at the table.
Chicago Vegetarian Diner Gravy
Vegetarian Fun Food Supreme
Freshtopia Show - Chicago Vegetarian
Karyn's Fresh Corner
Check Out These Chicago Vegetarian Diners
The following links introduce you to Chicago City and Chicago area Vegetarian Diners.
Many of these vegetarian diners are actually vegan. Some of these diners deliver their meals and others offer additional services, such as classes of different varieties (food preparation, meditation, yoga), banquets, catering, delver, and other specialized offerings. All offer excellent meals.
- Alice N Friends Vegetarian Cafe. Location: 5812 N Broadway Street in Chicago, IL 60660. It is between Rosedale Ave & Ardmore Ave in Edgewater. Online recommendations agree that the Almond Unchicken is a favorite dish with customers.
- Amitabul Korean. 100% vegan. 6207 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago, IL 60646
- Arya Bhavan. 2508 W Devon Ave, Chicago, IL 60659
- Blind Faith Cafe. 525 Dempster St, Evanston, IL 60201
- Karyn's Fresh Corner & Karyn's Inner Beauty Center
- Shree Vegetarian Restaurant. 655 N Cass Ave, Westmont, IL 60559
- Soul Vegetarian East
- The Heartland Cafe. 7000 N Glenwood Ave, Chicago, IL 60626
- Udupi Palace. 2543 W Devon Ave, Chicago, IL 60659
- Vegetarian Fun Foods Supreme -- (See menu above.)
- Victory's Banner - Offers a "Neatloaf": as well as burgers and other items. 2100 W Roscoe St, Chicago, IL 60618
Additional Vegetarian Foods You Might Enjoy
- 5 Best International Vegetarian Stews
The stew recipes below are in addition to other African, Middle Eastern and Southwestern European vegetarian dishes offered on Hub Pages. These particular dishes are healthy, taste good, and are filling. In particular, the Deconstructed Piri Piri Ste
- Best Easy Vegetarian Recipes
Chef Grace Zia Chu began writing Chinese cook books for Americans in 1962 in order to share the simple artistry of
- Meatless Or Meat? Flexible Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes
While not everyone is a vegan, we can all add vegetables to recipes, even Thanksgiving dishs. These recipes can be made with meat, if you like. Substitute 1/2 to 1 pound of meat for beans, etc.
More by this Author
The Seminole Nation is traditionally from Florida and enjoyed many of the foods found naturally in the area. One unique aspect of the Seminole community is that it was made up of different nations, especially Creek...
Pickling Meat is a way of curing and preserving different types of meats and was developed before the days of refrigeration or easy access to ice to keep meats cold.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE243
If you watch CSI and CSI Miami on television, you are watching criminology at work. Criminology is an important science in the field of sociology that can help prevent future crimes and help prisons become...