Best Cashew Chicken Stir Fry Recipe
Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
This stir-fry recipe is like cashew chicken though a bit different. It is a quick and easy homemade version of Chinese food that is delicious served over rice or even chicken fried rice.
Making Chinese food from scratch myself is something I like to do because statistics show that Chinese food is one of the foods highest in sodium that you can buy. I love Chinese food and rather than giving it up, I decided a long time ago to just 'fix' the problem by making my own with delicious results.
Asian foods in general are extremely good for you (if you watch the sodium) and stir frying vegetables is a great way to retain their nutrients and not overcook them.
I also like to 'get into' my world cuisines so always try to use bowls, plates, etc. that go along with the cuisine I'm cooking. It makes the meal fun as well as nutritious.
Recipe for Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
- 1/2 cup unsalted cashews
- 1 red bell pepper (substitute yellow or carrots and celery)
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil (see note below)
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped or minced (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine (mirin) or dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce (see recipe below)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil (see note below)
- 5-6 green onions, green part only cut into 1 inch lengths
- Heat wok until hot. Add cashews and dry fry over low to medium heat 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove, set aside
- Cut bell pepper in half and remove seeds. Slice into thin strips. (Or use celery and carrots here, peeled and sliced)
- Skin chicken fillet if not skinless. Cut into thin finger-length strips
- Heat wok again until hot. Add peanut oil and swirl around to coat wok
- Add garlic and let sizzle in the oil for a few seconds
- Add bell pepper (or carrots and celery) and chicken and stir fry for 2 minutes
- Add rice wine or sherry and hoisin sauce
- Continue to stir fry until chicken is tender and ingredients are glazed all over
- Stir in the sesame oil, toasted cashews and scallions
- Serve immediately over rice or chicken-fried rice
Note: On the oils, I always substitute olive oil for them though some cooks say the other oils add more flavor.
How to Make Homemade Hoisin Sauce
- 4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons low sodium peanut butter - or substitute black bean paste
- 1 tablespoon honey, molasses or brown sugar (molasses gives it a nice rich color)
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 20 drops of Chinese hot sauce, habanero or jalapeno
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Simple - just mix together though you have to be patient for them to blend. I blend slowly in my small food processor.
This recipe makes 1/2 cup of hoisin sauce.
Recipe courtesy of cdkitchen.com though I change the ingredients to low-sodium.
Cashew Chicken Perfect Recipe
About Wok Cooking
Learn More About Wok Cooking
How to Make Cashew Chicken
More by this Author
Asian soups are light and flavorful and can be made with few ingredients. Try this soup using shrimp, spinach and tofu but don't be afraid to change it up.
Making Chinese egg rolls is a snap if you know a few tricks and tips. Learn how to make the best Chinese egg rolls right at home.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE2
I learned the hard way not to put an ice pack directly on my skin. Here's how to treat ice burns quickly, and how to avoid them as well.