Chicken, Chicken and More Chicken: Recipes, Facts and More
Who Doesn't Love Chicken?
Did you know September was National Chicken Awareness Month? Not only is chicken a universally loved food- it is also quite abundant and very versatile. We can eat chicken in so many different ways and there are several options that are available.
Not only is chicken one of the most popular proteins in the world, it is essentially its own industry with entire restaurants devoted to the preparation of chicken.
Without further ado, let's get cluckin'!
Chicken Fun Facts
- Chickens with red earlobes lay brown eggs and chickens with white earlobes lay white eggs.
- Chickens lay fewer eggs as they age, but they do increase in size.
- There are four cities in the United States with chicken in the name: Chicken, Alaska; Chicken Bristle, Illinois; Chicken Bristle, Kentucky; Chicken Town, Pennsylvania.
- Chickens outnumber humans in global population.
- Chickens have been domesticated for 8,000 years.
- Cornish Game Hens are actually 5-6 week old chickens.
- The fear of chickens is called alektorophobia.
Top 8 US Chicken Fast Food Restaurants (2010 Statistics)
Sales (In Millions)
El Pollo Loco
Chicken Sayings (And Their Meanings)
- Don't Count Your Chickens Before They Hatch (Don't assume anything)
- Dumb Cluck (Pretty self-explanatory)
- Chickenhawks (pro-war politicians who haven't fought themselves)
- Chicken-Hearted (Afraid)
- Chickens Coming Home to Roost (Past coming back to haunt you)
- No Spring Chicken (Old)
- Long ago when chickens had teeth (Back in the day)
- Feeling like Henny Penny (Doing the grunt work)
Why did the chicken cross the road? She wanted to lay it on the line!
Why did the chicken cross the playground? To get to the other slide!
Which day of the week do chickens hate the most? Fry-day!
What do you call a crazy chicken? A crazy cluck!
Why was the chicken in the principal's office? Because he kept pecking on other kids!
Why did the Roman chicken cross? She was afraid someone would Caesar!
A farmer with lots of chickens posted the sign: Free Chickens Our Coop Runneth Over!
Chicken and Gender
Are Women More Partial to Eating Chicken More than Men?See results without voting
Chicken and Co-Eds
The summer before my senior year my friends and I lived in a large house about one mile from the campus of UNC Chapel Hill- where most of us attended. One night we decided to invite our guy friends over but instead of making everything, everyone bought a dish.
Why? Well, earlier in the summer we discussed our eating habits and for some reason the guys scoffed at the fact our meat of choice was chicken. But in our mind is what it was simple, chicken is a versatile food, healthy when not fried or covered in fatty additives, and relatively cheaper than beef or pork. Plus, very few omnivores have beef with chicken (sorry I had to do it)!
In light of this, I wanted to test the presumption that women favor chicken more than men.
Instead of putting the usual often loved chicken recipes, I decided to include a recipe I improvised on when I would cook for my old roommates.
I decide to call it collegiate chicken because while it's easy enough for a college student to make, it's also a great all-in-one meal that should keep you full.
So feel free to adapt them to your own tastes by removing the chicken, adding different veggies, or playing with seasonings and spices.
- Prep time: 25 min
- Cook time: 35 min
- Ready in: 1 hour
- Yields: 7 Servings
Collegiate Chicken and Spaghetti
- 3 Large Chicken Breasts, Cut Into 1 inch Pieces
- 1 Medium Box Spaghetti, Cooked
- 1 Clove Garlic, Minced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, Diced
- 1 Onion, Diced
- 1 jar Spaghetti Sauce
- Combine onion, bell pepper and garlic into pasta sauce and simmer on medium for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grill the chicken on George Foreman or any other indoor grill for 5-7 minutes until done and slightly dark.
- Combine chicken with sauce and simmer for five minutes. Serve.
- "Before Everybody wanted K.West beats, me and my girl split the bucket at KFC"- Kanye West "Touch The Sky"
- "I mean the maccaroni's soggy, the peas are mushed, and the chicken tastes like wood."- Sugarhill Gang "Rapper's Delight"
- A little bit of chicken fried, cold beer on a Friday night, a pair of jeans that fit just right" Zac Brown Band "Chicken Fried"
- "It's Christmas in Hollis, Queens, mom's cooking chicken and collard greens" Run DMC "Christmas in Holis"
- "I love her kisses, man can't get enough kinda like chicken and biscuits"- Colt Ford "Chicken and Biscuits"
Click for Cluck!
- Biggest Fast Food Companies in Industry by Market Segment - QSR magazine
- Chicken Jokes - Tons of them!
Like to dance the chicken dance?
- Common Chicken Sayings, Idioms & Other Funny Things We Say - BackYard Chickens Community
BackYard Chickens article, Common Chicken Sayings, Idioms & Other Funny Things We Say Chicken Idioms and other Funny Things We Say - We've been amazed at how many
- Random Chicken Facts
This page lists dozens of random and unusual facts about chickens.
- 20 Little Known Facts About Chicken - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
I eat a lot of chicken. I was interested in learning most about this staple of my diet, so I did some reading about my favorite food and dug up all these interesting, but little known, facts about chickens...
More by this Author
A playlist of some of the most memorable songs with Baby in the title.
The history of the original version of Last Christmas as well as some covers that may interest music fans!
What to buy, how to buy, and what you might want to think twice about before you buy