Chicken Crockpot Recipe
Barbecue Chicken Flavor without Smoke
Remember the faithful slow cooker - the crockpot? It is very easy to make a simple, tasty, and inexpensive chicken dish using it. This might be a good recipe for the children to master! Or, even the significant other!
All the Equipment Needed
- 1 or 2 chicken thighs per person, rinsed; skin and bone are ok
- 1 slice white or yellow onion, about 1/4 thick
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, per thigh
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce, per pair of thighs
- Cut an onion slice for every 2 thighs. Place in the bottom of the crockpot.
- Rinse the chicken thighs with water. If desired, remove skin, bones, or excess fat. Place in crockpot. (Wash your hands thoroughly after you are done handling raw chicken.)
- Grind pepper over the thighs.
- Evenly pour prepared barbecue sauce over the thighs. (For a friskier option, you may want to substitute a tropical salsa or chutney.)
- Place lid on crockpot and set the temperature to the low setting. Wait 5 to 9 hours and then serve.
The beauty of this recipe is that it is so easy to tailor your family's tastes. If you do not like traditional barbecue or tomato-based sauces, use what you prefer. I like a little tropical vibe.
Some of my family members enjoy eating cooked onion. Others do not. If you have some onion eaters, please divide the soft cooked onions among them. If your family likes the flavor, but no one likes to actually ingest them, just put the cooked onion at the bottom of the crockpot into your compost pile.
All text and photos copyright Maren E. Morgan 2012.
More by this Author
Recipe for a savory FRIED kugel from Eastern Europe. Exquisite tastes come the simple blending of just 4 ingredients. The secret is in the process. Many photos are provided to demonstrate how to make this fried noodle...
A description of a visit to an old-fashioned small Pennsylvania pretzel bakery and shop tucked into a residential neighborhood in a small town. It does not advertise, but the locals flock there. 14 pictures included.
Description of steps to get rid of basement water due to cracks & small holes in the foundation walls. Product recommendations. Personal experience shared by a non-construction worker homeowner gal.