Definition of an enchilada
From the Webster's online dictionary
Usually a corn tortilla rolled around a savory mixture, covered with chili sauce, and usually baked.
Chicken Enchiladas My Way
The following recipe is something I threw together tonight due to one of those horrendous cravings. This is not an authentic recipe for chicken enchiladas but I made them as close as I could with what I had on hand.
Quite often I get this horrendous desire for Mexican food and if I don’t make it or find somewhere to go, to eat it, it drives me nuts. So you may ask why this Canadian woman like’s Mexican food since she lives up in the Great White North. How does she even know what Mexican food tastes like? Well we do have Mexican restaurants way up here but that’s not how I have become to love this food so much.
When I was 14 years I moved with my family to California. The first time I saw a Taco Bell I remember saying or thinking what the hell is a taco? This was in the early 70’s and I don’t think too many people from where I was from knew what they were either. My step mother insisted on me trying one. Well I pouted and sighed because I had to try something different that sounded like something I wasn’t going to like at all!
After that first Taco it was love at first bite. Later on I became good friends with this girl in school who happened to be Mexican. Every day after school I’d go hang out at her house. When we’d get there, most days her mother would be in the kitchen at the stove flipping hot tortillas on a flat grill. I can taste them now, warm tortillas rolled up with a bit of butter. One time I was there for dinner and her mother had made tamales. Oh my goodness I think they were the best things I’d ever tasted. What I’d give for one of Mrs. Tapia’s tamales now.
Even though we have Mexican restaurants up here in Canada they’re just not the same as eating authentic Mexican food. If anyone knows of a place in Ontario Canada to get a really good Mexican meal please leave a comment and let me know.
- For the chicken you can use white or dark meat. I precooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Normally I would use Monterrey Jack cheese but I only had Havarti on hand. It actually worked quite well.
- To make the enchiladas spicier you may want to add slices of jalapenos either into the chicken mixture, on top of the rolled up enchiladas, or serve on the side.
- I served the enchiladas all by themselves as you see in the picture but you can always serve with sour cream, extra salsa, and or guacamole.
- 3 cups of cooked chicken, shredded or cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup of sweet onion, diced
- 1/3 cup of black olives, sliced
- 4-5 shakes of cumin powder
- 1/3 cup of salsa, mild, medium, or hot
- 2 cups of Havarti cheese with jalapenos, grated
- 1 can of enchilada sauce, mild, medium, or hot
- 3 green onions/scallions, chopped
- 8 large tortilla shells
Preparing the Enchiladas
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray an oven safe dish with vegetable oil. A lasagna pan or rectangle casserole dish works quite well as you can line up the rolled enchiladas and keep them tight together.
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine chicken, diced sweet onions, sliced black olives, cumin powder, and salsa. Toss well.
- Coat the bottom of the baking dish with some of the enchilada sauce. About 4 tablespoons should do it. Set the dish aside.
- Down the center of each tortilla place 1/8th of the chicken mixture. Add a generous amount of the grated cheese. Roll each tortilla tightly and place in the baking pan side by side.
- Top all the tortillas with the remaining enchilada sauce. Top this with the remaining cheese. If you feel you want more cheese than what you have left add more. Top with the chopped green onions.
- Place the baking dish into the oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, serve and ENJOY!
Sound Good? Please rate accordingly
More by this Author
A step by step recipe with pictures for making a one pot meal that includes; cabbage, carrots, potatoes and onions.
In this easy to follow recipe I've added other ingredients to Zatarain's Jambalaya mix to make it go further and feed more people. Pictures included with recipe.
Find out how to correct biting, chewing jumping, rough play, begging, barking and digging when your dog has behavioral problems.