Chicken Rice is very nice!
If there were to be a national dish of Malaysia it would be chicken rice. What is not to love about this dish? There is succulent and delicious chicken and lovely fluffy rice. Chicken meat in Malaysia is probably the cheapest meat based protein that you can buy. The quality is also excellent.
As I have lived in Malaysia I have come to love chicken rice. So much so that I have decided to make my own.... The chicken in this recipe is a cross between Chicken rice and paper chicken... It is delicious and very simple to make. You can use any cut of chicken that you like. Remember however that cuts with bones in will take longer to cook.
Garlic (one clove per piece of chicken)
Ginger (3cm per piece of chicken)
Rice cooked in a rice cooker
Soy sauce (light)
Kecap Manis (sweet soy sauce)
1. Leave skin on or take it off the choice is yours place on a folded piece of foil that will make the package that you will cook the chicken in.
2. Skin and cut the clove of garlic into pieces that will be bug enough to pick out of the sauce that will be made. Peel and cut the ginger and place garlic and ginger on the chicken piece.
3. Pour 2 table spoons of Soy sauce over chicken and 1.5 table spoons of Kecap manis. If you can get kecap Manis use 2 teaspoons of brown sugar and one more table spoon of soy sauce.
4. Wrap in foil. Place in steamer above boiling water. Cook for 20-30 minutes. Extending the time if you have many foil parcels. If you don't have a bamboo steamer... All is not lost. You can use a vegetable steamer or even a metal sieve with the lid on, over a saucepan of boiling water.
5. Place your rice in a dish and then place chicken on top. Pour juice over chicken holding back the ginger and garlic... Yum!!
More by this Author
Growing herbs in a tropical climate can be challenging but oh so rewarding! So come on down and have a go!