Chicken Rice Bowl Recipe with Stir Fried Vegetables
Easy Chicken Rice Bowl Recipe
Rate this Recipe
Stir Fry: A Delicious, Easy Dinner Recipe
Stir fry is a delicious way to get a daily serving of vegetables. This rice bowl recipe includes vegetables and chicken, with very little fat. The chicken is baked in an oven to increase the health content, and the vegetables are sauteed in only 2 tablespoons of Canola oil.
While the chicken must marinate for 2 hours, this step may be performed the day before: simply place the chicken in the marinade, cover, and refrigerate overnight. The actual preparation and cook time for this recipe is very short: the chicken and rice are made in 20 minutes, and the vegetables are stir fried in approximately 10 minutes. This recipe is excellent for busy weeknights!
Cooking and Preparation Time
Rice Bowl Ingredients
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup sherry (or red cooking wine)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups white rice
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3 medium carrots, cut into coins
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup stir fry sauce
Chicken Rice Bowl Recipe PhotosClick thumbnail to view full-size
- At least 2 hours before baking, marinate the chicken. Cut the boneless, skinless chicken breasts into strips approximately 1/2" wide. Place the soy sauce, cooking wine, and sugar into a small mixing bowl. Thoroughly combine, add chicken strips, cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours prior to cooking. The chicken may be marinated overnight in the refrigerator, if desired.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place foil on a baking sheet or in a roasting pan and arrange the chicken strips on the foil. Bake for 20 minutes or until the chicken is 165 degrees F (interior temperature).
- While the chicken is baking, make the rice. Place 4 cups of water in a sauce pan, followed by 2 cups of rice. Heat to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for approximately 20 minutes until the rice is done.
- Cut broccoli into florets and dice the carrots. Place approximately 2 tablespoons vegetable (or canola) oil into a large skillet or wok. Heat until it faintly smokes, then add the carrots, garlic, and broccoli.
- Stir the vegetables in the skillet for approximately 2 minutes, then add the stir fry sauce and water. Stir continuously for another 5-6 minutes, until the vegetables become slightly tender.
- Place rice at the bottom of each bowl, then layer the stir-fried vegetables (with stir fry sauce) on top of the rice. Place some chicken strips on top of each bowl, and serve while still warm.
Preparing Vegetable Stir FryClick thumbnail to view full-size
Substitutions and Variations for this Rice Bowl Recipe
The rice used for this recipe may be changed to brown rice to increase health benefits. Try making this recipe with different types of rice: our favorite is sticky Jasmine rice, but any white rice variety is excellent.
The vegetables may be changed or increased depending on individual taste. Try adding Shitake mushrooms, baby corn, bell peppers, cauliflower, or bamboo shoots to the mix. Snow peas also taste delightful in rice bowls.
Vegetarians can omit the chicken and simply marinate tofu instead. Take care in reading stir fry sauce labels: many contain animal products. To make a vegan stir fry sauce, combine the following:
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2/3 cup water
More by this Author
This simple pasta salad recipe is a traditional side dish at picnics and summer potlucks. This dish takes less than 30 minutes to prepare, making it the perfect last-minute recipe for any gathering. Serve as a side dish...
Make a complete, healthy dinner using economical chicken thighs, broccoli, carrots, rice, and a thin gravy sauce. This dinner is nutritious, and kids can help to prepare the vegetables: kids who cook are more likely to...
The blue people of Kentucky are not a myth, but are members of a family carrying a rare gene which turns their skin blue in color.