Chicken and Mushroom Comfort Food
Comfort Food Kinda Healthy...
This dish is an homage to the Midwestern USA dish of hot cooked beef with robust gravy served on mashed potatoes or toast. It is called a hot beef sandwich. It can be made with turkey, chicken, and meatloaf. It is also called a Manhattan sandwich in many diners.
Do be careful if you order this in a restaurant with a bar, as you very well may get the alcoholic drink. This did happen to some non-drinking family members. They sent the drinks back!
In our effort to eat the foods we remember as kids, my husband and I will try all kinds of substitutions and variations. That is exactly what this is, a variation on the Comfort Food Theme.
Mushrooms have a hearty texture that will stand up to stew and gravy dishes. If you use chicken rather than beef you are serving a lower fat meat.
The Montreal Chicken seasoning and the Worcestershire sauce are important components in mimicking the the meaty taste too. I even serve a steak sauce like A-! with this dish.
Also, Wondra flour is a great way to thicken gravy without all the worry about lumps. It is easier to achieve a smooth sauce with Wondra than just flour.
Yes, it is NOT the real hot beef with gravy open faced sandwich (Manhattan) but it sure is a tasty variation. It is also a healthier and less expensive variation.
That's "Good Eats" as my Dad said!
- 24 ounces mushrooms
- 2 T. chopped onions
- 1 t. at a time of Olive or other Oil
- 1 t. at a time of Worchestershire Sauce
- 1 T. Montreal Chicken Seasoning
- 1 1/2 C. cooked chicken, rotisserie chicken left overs
- 1 C. chicken broth, homemade or canned
- 1 T. Wondra Gravy Flour
24 Ounces White Mushrooms
Sautee in Batches
Rotisserie Chicken Pieces Added
Sauce ready to cook.
- Use the chicken bits from the rotisserie chicken from the grocery store or a can of white chicken meat. Must be already cooked. Combine with a cup of chicken broth. (see below for how to make homemade broth) or use a full can of store bought chicken broth.
- Wash and slice up 24 ounces of mushrooms.
- Heat the electric skillet (in hot weather I do not heat up the entire stove) with some olive oil in it. Let the onions cook while you cut up the mushrooms. Remove the onions once they are soft.
- After removing the cooked onions, drizzle some olive oil in the skillet and add a handful of mushrooms. Once they are cooking, drizzle some Worchestershire sauce on them.
- Once the first handful of mushrooms are cooked, add another handful and repeat step #4 until all the mushrooms are cooked.
- Add the chicken pieces to the mixture and cook until they are warm.
- Mix the Wondra flour/gravy thickener per the instructions on the container. Turn up the skillet and put the broth with the Wondra thickener in it in the pan. Add the Montreal seasoning.
- Be sure to boil the dish long enough for the Wondra flour/gravy thickener to cook and become thick. Serve!
Homemade Chicken Broth
The rotisserie chicken is a convenient way to feed a hungry family. It is a real help after a long day at work. I can also be stretched a long way to create even more value.
Here is how to use the carcass to make your very own chicken broth. Your homemade broth will be much more flavorful than the canned varieties, I guarantee it!!
- Chicken Broth Soup
Chicken broth soup. Use that store bought rotisserie chicken to make this wonderful broth. It may be eaten as a soup or used as a base for soups, stews, gravies, rice, noodles, and pasta. This makes an especially wonderful egg drop soup.
Mushroom Side Dish
The dish above is a variation on a mushroom side dish. This is cooked low and slow while you make the rest of the dinner. It is packed full of flavor.
Take a look at this recipe:
Another Use for Mushrooms
- Mushroom Side Dish with a Twist
Mushroom dish with green chili sauce. Tasty and low calorie side dish with a New Mexico twist. How to make crimini mushroom recipe.
More by this Author
Chili Soup Recipe. A hearty family pleasing meal. Midwestern USA in origin.
Pork Roast Clay Pot cooking recipe. Excellent Holiday entertaining meal.
First Thursdays at 6pm at Fairway Recreation Center, the Sun City Democratic Club. EVERY Monday at 9am at Starbucks (99th Ave & Bell) ACTIVE GROUP ON THE MOVE!!! Join us!