Chile Pepper Recipes for Cold Days
Recipes with chile peppers:
Whether you’re gearing up for a Super Bowl party or cooking up a winter treat there are many chile pepper recipes to trigger the heat receptors in your mouth. Here are a few of them. Enjoy!
Black Bean Lettuce Wrap Ingredients:
- 4 Boston Lettuce Leaves
- 2 T Olive Oil, (Dressing)
- 3 T lime juice-fresh or bottled, (Dressing)
- 1 tsp minced jalapeño pepper-seeded and deveined, (Dressing)
- 15 oz can black beans, (Filling)
- 1 cup corn kernels, (Filling)
- 1/2 cup tomatoes-seeded and diced, (Filling)
- 1 scallion-thinly sliced, (Filling)
- 1/2 cup fresh avocado-diced, (Filling)
- 3 T fresh cilantro-chopped, (Filling)
- Gently wash and pat dry the Boston lettuce leaves. Set aside.
- Whisk together lime juice, oil and minced jalapeños in a large bowl until blended.
- Add the remainder ingredients and mix gently until well blended.
- Place a scoop of bean mixture unto a lettuce leaf and roll up. Serve with a side of chips and salsa dip.
Information about Capsaicins
1. Capsaicin is an irritant from the seeds of the chile pepper that produces a burning sensation wherever it comes in contact with: hands, eyes, or throat. It affects animals and humans, but birds are not affected by the sting of the heat. In fact, pepper seeds are spread most often by birds carrying the seeds in their beaks and dropping them.
2. The capsaicin compound was first isolated by Christian Freidrich Bucholz in 1816. Bucholz was a German scientist.
3. Besides being consumed as a food product, capsaicin's are also used in topical ointments, as a dermal patch for pain relief of peripheral neuropathy, and as a cream for treatment of psoriasis.
Cheese Stuffed Jalapenos
To make 4 dozen
25 medium sized jalapeno peppers
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
1 ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 c. finely shredded cheddar cheese.
4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
Using disposable latex gloves to avoid the pepper’s capsaicin, a skin irritant, take each pepper and slice it open lengthwise; remove the seeds and membranes. Gently boil the peppers in a saucepan for 5-10 min. Remember: the longer you boil, the milder they become. Drain, rinse in cold water and set aside.
In a small bowl beat together: cream cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and cheddar cheese. When smooth scoop two teaspoons into each pepper half and crumble bacon on top.
Place on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 5-10 min or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Chipotle Chiles Soup
1 T. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded & diced
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded & diced
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 T. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 cans (14.5 oz each) black beans-rinse and drain
4 c. low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 tsp chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
½ c. chopped tomato
1 T. fresh lime juice
1 T. fresh cilantro, minced
¼ tsp. coarse salt (sea salt may be used)
½ c. nonfat sour cream
In a large soup pot heat the oil and cook onions and peppers until golden, about 10 minutes.
Stir in garlic, cumin, and oregano. Cook for approximately 1 minute. Add the black beans, broth, and chiles, and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Let it cool slightly. Place approximately half the mixture into a blender or food processor and puree. Return this mixture to the soup pot stirring until well blended.
In a separate bowl, combine the tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, and salt.
Serve soup in individual bowls adding 2 T of sour cream mixture to each serving and topping with the tomato mixture.
Related Hubs by this Author
- Hotter Than A Red Hot Chile Pepper
How hot is a habanero? The Chile Pepper Institute at New Mexico State University measured the capsaicin of the habanero and over 100 other varieties of peppers. Youll be surprised at the results. ...
- Best Loved Cookbooks
Although she was only 17 when she married, and had no homemaking skills to speak of, my mother was young, in love and had a willingness to learn. One of the things she learned to do well, and enjoy along the...
More by this Author
Have you ever experienced 'fondue'? If not, the Melting Pot Restaurant is a great place to hold a special celebration. The food is tasty and the dining experience is unique and fun.
Graham crackers are a versatile food-satisfying, a quick snack, and easy to keep. Here are 7 ways to use graham crackers for a sweet treat or holiday decoration.
If you're in a hurry to go out and don't have time to wash clothes, follow these proven tips to make dirty clothes smell clean (and fool those standing near you!).