Chinese Noodle With Bean Sauce Recipe (Zha Jiang Mian)
Springy egg noodles topped with salty bean sauce. Zha Jiang Mian (Cha Chang Mein) is popular noodle dish from Northern region of China. The bean sauce or popular as "Chinese bolognese" is made of ground pork, fermented bean sauce, hoisin sauce and or sweet bean sauce (Tian Mian Jiang). This noodle is similar to Jajamen (Japanese noodle dish) and Jajangmyeon (Korean noodle dish)
This is a very simple and easy to make dish. It is inexpensive and quite filling. The bean sauce add robust flavors. It's salty and pungent, a counterbalance to bland noodles.
Here is how to make Zha Jiang Mian at home. This recipe calls for bean sauce and hoisin sauce . They are widely available for purchase at Chinese grocery. You can replace bean sauce and hoisin sauce with ready to use sweet bean sauce or using any combination of brown bean sauce and sweet bean sauce. It depends on your personal taste and preference.
What You Need
Serves 4 - 6
1 lbs Chinese egg noodles
1 lbs ground pork
1 tbsp minced garlic
3 tbsp chopped spring onions
1/4 cup Chinese brown bean sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp sugar
spring onions, chopped
How to Fix
- In a bowl, combine bean sauce, hoisin sauce, spring onions, chicken broth and sugar. Stir to mix.
- Heat a wok over high heat. When hot, add oil and garlic. Stir-fry for 30 seconds or until the garlic is fragrant. Add the pork and stir-fry for about 1 minute.
- Pour the bean sauce mixture in. Stir to combine. Cover and cook over medium-low heat. Cook for about 5 minutes. Then transfer to a serving dish.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a rolling boil. Then drop the egg noodles in. Boil the noodles for about 5 or until they are "al dente", stirring occasionally. Transfer into colander and drain.
- Place the hot noodles in a bowl and add the bean sauce. Use a tong or chopstick to give the noodles a good stir. The noodles should be coated with bean sauce. Garnish with cucumber, carrot and spring onions. Serve it hot or warm.
More Chinese Recipes
- Chinese Stir-Fried Clams With Bean Sauce And Chili. How to Stir-Fry Clams !
How to stir-fry clams with bean sauce and spicy chili. A tasty seafood dish.
- Stir-Fried Mongolian Lamb Recipe
How to stir-fry lamb. A Mongolian inspired dish.
- Chinese Stir-Fried Bean Sprouts With Bean Sauce Recipe. An Easy Vegetarian Dish
How to stir-fry bean sprouts. A healthy dish.
- Chinese Stir-Fried Bitter Gourd With Pork And Black Bean Sauce Recipe
- Easy Chinese Egg Foo Young Recipe
- Chinese Dim Sum Steamed Spareribs With Black Bean Sauce Recipe
- Chinese Barbecued Spareribs Recipe
Cooking Zha Jiang Mian
Beijing Zha Jiang Mien
More by this Author
Chinese Stuffed Bitter Melon AVLXY If you grew up eating the bitter melon, you will love this bitter dish. Stuffed bitter melon is common home-cooked dish in many Chinese household. It's made of bitter melon and ground...
How to stir-fry bok choy. A tasty vegetarian dish.
Steamed meatball is pretty common dim sum food. It can be made of beef, chicken, fish, shrimp or squid. My kid's favorite is steamed pork balls. They are soft, wonderful and flavorful. Fixing steamed meatballs at home...