Chinese Sweet Dumpling Recipe - Tangyuan
This is a traditional Chinese sweet dumpling soup. It is usually served during Yuanxiao or lantern festival. Thus it's known as Yuanxiao in Northern China but popular as Tangyuan in southern region. This dumpling is made of glutinous rice flour and water. The glutinous rice flour dough can be filled with various filling such as red bean paste, sesame paste, peanut or simply unfilled. It is shaped in various size, small or large. Then the ball shaped filled or unfilled dumplings are cooked in boiling water and served in sweet soup.
Nowadays, Tangyuan are enjoyed as Chinese dessert. This exotic and easy to make dessert is delicious.
What You Need
- 2 cups glutinous rice flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup chunky peanut butter
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds, roasted
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 6 tsp sugar
- 6 bowls boiling water, medium bowl
How to Make
- Combine peanut butter, sesame seeds and brown sugar. Stir to mix. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine water and glutinous rice flour. Mix it into smooth dough. Then divide the dough into 30 small balls, each about 1-inch in diameter. Set aside.
- Use hands to flatten the balls into 2-inch disc. Place 1 teaspoon of the filling. Fold the dough over to cover the filling, seal the edges and roll back into balls.
- Bring to a boil about 1 1/2 quart of water in a large saucepan. Then add the dumplings. Stir continuously to prevent sticking.
- Meanwhile, in a different pot, bring about 6 bowls of water to a rolling boiling. Then lower the heat to simmer .
- Simmer the dumplings about 7 minutes or until float.
- Divide the dumplings into 6 equal portions and put it in a medium or small bowls. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar on each bowls. Ladle hot boiling water to the bowls. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Taste and adjust the flavor. Add sugar if necessary.
- Chinese Baked Barbecued Pork Buns Recipe
- Chinese Dim Sum Chicken Congee Recipe (Gai Juk)
- Chinese Vegetarian Dumplings Recipe - No Meat Dim Sum
- Chinese Dim Sum Beijing Flower Roll Recipe (Hua Juan)
- Lotus Root Pancake Recipe - Chinese Dim Sum Dish
Tangyuan - Chinese dessert
More by this Author
How to make Vietnamese style meatballs.
Flickr by Endalicious Tender and juicy spareribs coated with savory Chinese black bean sauce. No Sunday brunch or morning dim sum is ever complete without tasty steamed spareribs. Of course Chinese bao, spring rolls,...
Steamed meatball is pretty common dim sum food. It can be made of beef, chicken, fish, shrimp or squid. My kid's favorite is steamed pork balls. They are soft, wonderful and flavorful. Fixing steamed meatballs at home...