Brigadeiros and Beijinhos: Brazilian Truffles
Brigadeiros & Beijinhos
A vampire tale blending historical fiction with urban romance
Chocolate Lovers Rejoice!!!
I have a delicious, quick and easy dessert recipe for you. Brigadeiros are small, truffle-like chocolate delights that melt in your mouth- literally. Although my mother was born in the Azores, she spent many years in Brazil and would often make these for special occasions or parties. My sisters and I would gorge on them! I have made these many times and they are always a smashing success at any gathering.
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2-3 T unsweetened cocoa (some people use Hershey or Nestle chocolate milk powder, but I think it makes it too sweet)
2 T butter
paper candy cups
chocolate sprinkles for decoration
1. Combine first three ingredients in a pan and stir constantly over low- medium heat. Bring to a boil.
2. Continue stirring until mixture thickens (about 1-2 minutes).
3. Remove from heat and pour hot mixture out onto a large plate or serving dish.
4. Allow to cool completely.
5. Rub a pat of butter onto your hands and place a spoon-sized amount into the palm of your hand. Roll into a small ball, then roll the ball in sprinkles before placing in the paper cup. May be served immediately or chilled.
Not a Chocolate Lover? That's OK, here is another popular treat:
BEIJINHOS (Little Kisses): (bay-jhee-ños)
Same recipe as above except omit the cocoa and add 1/2 cup coconut flakes. Roll the balls in sugar or flaked coconut instead of chocolate sprinkles. Delicious!
I promise you that if you bring either of these treats (or both) to a holiday party or serve them as a dessert after a big meal, everyone will ask for the recipe. Give them a try to let me know how it turns out. Enjoy and thank you for reading!
C. De Melo
Author & Artist
More by this Author
The best food in Tuscany can be found at mamma's house...
Traditional, festive cake to compliment coffee, tea, or bubbly...
I love to entertain and have some wonderful tips to make sure that your dinner party, cocktail party, or any kind of party you throw is a SUCCESS! There is nothing worse than being invited to dinner only to arrive and...