Chocolate Lovers Chocolate Cake
Memories of Snack 'N Cake
Growing up, I remember my mom used to make Snack 'n Cake, which was a just-about ready to bake cake, including cake mix and pan. Now, Duncan Hines has one called Perfect Size Chocolate Lover's Chocolate Cake, and other flavors too. So I thought I would give it a try.
First, let's discuss the packaging. Duncan Hines has done an excellent job with the packaging for their new convenient little cake mix, completed with the cake pan. Yes, that's right, just like the old fashioned snack 'n cake, this one comes with a pan. The picture is very eye catching because the chocolate cake looks delicious. The fact that the cake mix, frosting and cake pan were inside sounded very convenient!
For chocolate lovers everywhere, this seemed all too good to be true. I could not resist. I had to buy it. I figured, with a small chocolate cake, it was perfect for just a couple people. This is ideal for Valentine's Day, a private birthday party, or dessert for a cozy dinner for 2 to 4 people.
It is possible to create a delicious little chocolate cake in no time? Let's find out.
What You'll Need:
- 1 box, Duncan Hines Perfect Size Chocolate Lover's Chocolate Cake cake kit
- 1 egg
- 1 large bowl, 1 medium bowl
- Measuring spoons
- Softened butter, or butter spread, I like Smart Balance (2 tablespoons for cake, 4 tablespoons for frosting)
- Water (5 tablespoons for cake, 1 teaspoon for frosting)
- Preheat over to 500 degrees.
- Empty contents of cake mix in large bowl.
- Blend cake mix, 1 egg, 5 tablespoons of water, and 2 tablespoons of softened butter using electric mixer on low for 30 seconds, then beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Pour cake mixture into the ungreased pan (which is included).
- Bake on rack in center of oven at 300 degrees for approximately 35 minutes. Test with toothpick. When toothpick is clean, cake is done.
Cool the Cake
Carefully remove cake from oven using oven mitts, then cool cake in pan for 15 min.
After cake has cooled, it's time to remove the cake from the pan. The pan is lightweight and easy to handle and remove the cake from. First, using 2 hands, invert the pan (with cake). Holding the pan, you will notice that there is a section in the middle of the pan to press, to release the cake. This is pictured in photo here on the right.
Transfer the cake to either a wired rack, or cake dish. Cool cake completely.
Mix the Frosting
In medium bowl, beat 4 tablespoons of softened butter with electric mixer, for 1 minute until fluffy.
Add frosting mix and 1 teaspoon water, and mix with electric mixer for 2 minutes on high, until smooth and creamy.
Finally, Frost the Cake!
Frost the cake with a spatula.
Note: Mixing the frosting was the only part that seemed to have a lot of extra steps. I was surprised it did not come with ready to spread frosting in the pouch. That is why I only rated the cake 4 out of 5 stars.
- The cake is very easy to mix, make and bake!
- The cake is very moist and quite delicious.
- The frosting turned out pretty good, but I think it is best to use softened butter, not melted butter (which I did). The frosting could have been a little thicker and fluffier.
- If I make this cake again, I might use some store brand frosting and turn this into a double-layer cake.
Overall, I would recommend this for a quick, easy, delicious dessert!
Rate the Cake!
More by this Author
- 12Top 10 Lists of Healthy and Delicious Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free Meals, and Lactose-Free Meals and Snacks For You to Enjoy!
Whether you are allergic or sensitive to wheat products, lactose intolerant, or just want to eat healthier, in this article, you can find top 10 lists of foods to enjoy for breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as for...
This article provides ingredients, recipe and step-by-step instructions for making Chicken Marsala. By following this easy-to-use cooking guide, you can create a Chicken Marsala dinner in no time!
This article explains spam and how to setup yahoo email to mark and unmark email as spam. In addition, learn how companies get your email address, how to block spam in your email inbox, and options to avoid spam in...