Hot Drink Recipes: How To Make Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix From Scratch
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
This recipe for homemade hot chocolate mix is a great one for packaging in decorative bags or tins and putting in gift baskets - or just enjoying for yourself on a wintery day. The mini chocolate chips enhance the flavor as they melt!
Check out the recipes that follow. While you may not be able to use those as a mix, you could still put together a gift basket with the ingredients and the recipe - add a couple of mugs and candy canes and voila - lovely gift!
- 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup powdered nondairy creamer
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Measure all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk them until they are evenly blended.
- Store the mix in a tightly covered container at room temperature until you're ready to package it. Makes about 4 cups of mix.
Tips on Packaging:
- The recipe makes enough for 4 gift-size portions, each of which can be measured into a small plastic bag and tucked into a cup or mug filled with mini marshmallows, candy stick stirrers, and a spoon.
- The mix is also great in little plastic bags tied with a decorative tie with the instructions attached and placed in a gift basket - with mugs of course!
- Wrap each filled gift cup in cellophane and don't forget to include a tag with the following instructions.
- Don't forget to include the instructions: Spoon 3 or 4 generous tablespoons of cocoa mix into your cup (depending on the size), add boiling water, and stir well.
Snow Flake Cocoa
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 6 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 12-ounce package of white chocolate chips
- Whipped cream for garnish
- Candy canes for garnish
- Stir together the whipping cream, milk, vanilla and white chocolate chips in a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 2 to 2-1/2 hours stirring occasionally until mixture is hot and chocolate chips are melted.
- Stir again before serving.
- Garnish with whipped cream and candy canes if desired.
Hot Chocolate - South American Style
Ai chihuahua! But it sounds very good! (By the way - ai chihuahua originated in Australia as an exclamation of surprise!)
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons cherry brandy (optional)
- In a saucepan over low heat, stir together the sugar, cocoa powder and chili powder.
- Cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add water and bell pepper strips and mix well.
- Bring to a simmer and stir in milk.
- When the mixture is heated to your liking, remove the pepper strips with a slotted spoon.
- Add cherry brandy if using and serve.
Other Homemade Ideas For Gift Baskets
- Quick and Easy Individual Buttermilk Pound Cakes
morguefile.com This is a super easy, wonderfully versatile pound cake recipe because you can make 5 individual cakes and either give as gifts, freeze, or serve each one with a different topping. These freeze...
- Christmas Cookies And Candies - Biscotti
morguefile.com Another addition to Christmas cookies and candy offerings that can be part of a gift basket, a stand-alone gift in a pretty gift bag or tin, or a yummy addition to any get-together. ...
- Christmas Candy Ideas - Almond Bark Peppermint Candy
Christmas candy ideas could not be simpler than this SUPER easy-to-make yet delicious candy. It keeps very well in air-tight containers and makes a beautiful gift as part of a Christmas gift basket or in a...
- Christmas Candy Ideas - Soft Caramels
morguefile.com The possibilities for homemade gift giving are endless but here is another of my Christmas candy ideas that sounds like it would be complicated to make but really is a snap! These are melt in...
- Christmas Candy Ideas - Broken Glass Candy
morguefile.com This is one of my favorite Christmas candy ideas for adding to gift baskets at the holidays. This recipe is a more difficult one because it involves temperature and cooking to the hard...
- Christmas Candy Ideas - Almost Almond Roca
morguefile.com This is another of my Christmas candy ideas that is super simple to make and makes a beautiful gift to add to a Christmas basket - or just simply to enjoy over the holidays. I keep mine in...
- Christmas Candy Ideas - Amish Caramel Corn
morguefile.com Another of my super easy Christmas candy ideas that you can make ahead, store in airtight containers and then incorporate as part of a gift basket or a stand-alone gift in decorative tins or...
More by this Author
You can make a jumbo or extra large muffin from any muffin recipe out there. You just have to know how to tweak the recipe in terms of baking time and amount you put in the pan. If you don't have a jumbo muffin pan,...
Nothing tastes better on a hot summer day than a nice, thirst-quenching margarita - unless it's a watermelon margarita! Here are a couple of great recipes along with some gazpacho shooters and how to make melon ice...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE2
I learned the hard way not to put an ice pack directly on my skin. Here's how to treat ice burns quickly, and how to avoid them as well.