Delicious Meals: Classy Lasagna
For those that read my series, The Morning Conversations of Barack & Michelle Obama, you are familiar with the White House chef, Tyrone. Well, Tyrone has decided to share another of his great recipes with the general public: classy lasagna.
In order for this recipe to come out best, Tyrone says to use regular lasagna noodles that need to be cooked and not the no-boil or instant lasagna. No-boil lasagna noodles are thinner and don't have the same taste and consistency as regular noodles, according to Tyrone.
Tyrone also recommends mixing 5 or 6 tablespoons of milk to your ricotta cheese to help thin it if you find it hard to spread.
- 6 Long lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 1 Package Turkey, Sweet or hot Italian Sausage, or Beef Italian sausage
- 1 Jar (28 ounce) Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 Container (15 ounce) Ricotta Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Chopped fresh basil, or Italian parsley
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan, or Romano cheese
- 2 Cups Shredded mozzarella
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, crumble sausage into a large skillet. Discard casings.
- Cook over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spaghetti sauce; simmer uncovered 10 minutes.
- Combine ricotta cheese, basil and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese; mix well.
- Spoon 3/4 cup spaghetti sauce mixture over bottom of a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Layer half of cooked noodles over sauce; top with half of ricotta cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese; top with 1 cup spaghetti sauce.
- Repeat layering with remaining ricotta cheese mixture, 3 noodles and remaining spaghetti sauce.
- Top with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil; bake 50 minutes.
- Uncover; continue baking 10 minutes or until bubbly.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
|Serving size: 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat||153|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 17 g||26%|
|Carbohydrates 24 g||8%|
|Protein 28 g||56%|
|Cholesterol 66 mg||22%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Now that you have made this classy lasagna, Tyrone recommends letting it rest for 5 minutes after removing it from the oven. Make sure to use a sharp, serrated knife to cut lasagna.
To make this an even more perfect meal, Tyrone recommends serving lasagna with a big, green salad. Try a mixture of romaine lettuce, curly endive and chopped radicchio. Toss in a teaspoon or two of freshly chopped basil. Add a nice garlic vinaigrette to your salad.
Finally, for a special touch, add a loaf of hot garlic bread and a dish of black olives! Enjoy!
© 2012 Dexter Yarbrough. All Rights Reserved.
More by this Author
By Dexter Yarbrough. I remember a scene from the movie The Color Purple, where Celie and Shug Avery are walking through a beautiful field of purple flowers. The scene I am speaking of is over to the right. It is short...
By Dexter Yarbrough. Undoubtedly, we all have our lists of bests: best cars, best hotels, best places to live, etc. When it comes to all time best comediennes, Ruth Buzzi is certainly on my top ten list.
By Dexter Yarbrough. Marriage is a wonderful institution. There is nothing like having the perfect mate to travel along the journey of life.