Delicious Meals: Classy Lasagna
For those that read my series, The Morning Conversations of Barack & Michelle Obama, you are familiar with the White House chef, Tyrone. Well, Tyrone has decided to share another of his great recipes with the general public: classy lasagna.
In order for this recipe to come out best, Tyrone says to use regular lasagna noodles that need to be cooked and not the no-boil or instant lasagna. No-boil lasagna noodles are thinner and don't have the same taste and consistency as regular noodles, according to Tyrone.
Tyrone also recommends mixing 5 or 6 tablespoons of milk to your ricotta cheese to help thin it if you find it hard to spread.
- 6 Long lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 1 Package Turkey, Sweet or hot Italian Sausage, or Beef Italian sausage
- 1 Jar (28 ounce) Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 Container (15 ounce) Ricotta Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Chopped fresh basil, or Italian parsley
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan, or Romano cheese
- 2 Cups Shredded mozzarella
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, crumble sausage into a large skillet. Discard casings.
- Cook over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spaghetti sauce; simmer uncovered 10 minutes.
- Combine ricotta cheese, basil and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese; mix well.
- Spoon 3/4 cup spaghetti sauce mixture over bottom of a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Layer half of cooked noodles over sauce; top with half of ricotta cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese; top with 1 cup spaghetti sauce.
- Repeat layering with remaining ricotta cheese mixture, 3 noodles and remaining spaghetti sauce.
- Top with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil; bake 50 minutes.
- Uncover; continue baking 10 minutes or until bubbly.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
|Serving size: 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat||153|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 17 g||26%|
|Carbohydrates 24 g||8%|
|Protein 28 g||56%|
|Cholesterol 66 mg||22%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Now that you have made this classy lasagna, Tyrone recommends letting it rest for 5 minutes after removing it from the oven. Make sure to use a sharp, serrated knife to cut lasagna.
To make this an even more perfect meal, Tyrone recommends serving lasagna with a big, green salad. Try a mixture of romaine lettuce, curly endive and chopped radicchio. Toss in a teaspoon or two of freshly chopped basil. Add a nice garlic vinaigrette to your salad.
Finally, for a special touch, add a loaf of hot garlic bread and a dish of black olives! Enjoy!
© 2012 Dexter Yarbrough. All Rights Reserved.
More by this Author
By Dexter Yarbrough. Undoubtedly, we all have our lists of bests: best cars, best hotels, best places to live, etc. When it comes to all time best comediennes, Ruth Buzzi is certainly on my top ten list.
By Dexter Yarbrough. I remember a scene from the movie The Color Purple, where Celie and Shug Avery are walking through a beautiful field of purple flowers. The scene I am speaking of is over to the right. It is short...
By Dexter Yarbrough. Marriage is a wonderful institution. There is nothing like having the perfect mate to travel along the journey of life.