Asian Soup Recipes: How To Make Clear Japanese Soup
Japanese Clear Soup
In my explorations of other cuisines, I have fallen in love with many of the Asian soups. They are so simple to prepare and so distinctive in their flavors that I have ended up buying many different Asian cookbooks over the years.
This recipe is for the Japanese Clear Soup though some recipes call this a miso soup. You can use that base as well, but I prefer just this simple broth variation. I especially love adding a garnish of shrimp and spinach leaves.
Japanese Clear Soup is not a fill-you-up kind of meal and sometimes I will serve it as a first course to a Japanese menu. Or if the soup is the only thing on for dinner, we will add some Japanese cooked noodles to the soup as well. This is just one of many delicious Asian soups to try!
Another Japanese Masterpiece - Oyakodon
Clear Japanese Soup - Suimono
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon instant chicken bouillon (or omit bouillon and substitute 3 cups of chicken broth)
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- Thinly sliced mushrooms
- Green onion strips
- Celery leaves
- Spinach leaves
- Thinly sliced lemon or lime
- Thinly sliced carrots
- Strips of lemon peel
- Cooked shrimp
- Small chunks of tofu
- Heat ingredients to boiling, stirring occasionally.
- Top with at least 1-3 garnishes.
- Serve in small bowls.
JAPANESE NOODLE VARIETIES
- Ramen - this noodle is wheat-based with soda water
- Soba - medium buckwheat-based noodle
- Somen - very thin wheat-based noodle
- Udon - the thick version of somen - wheat-based noodle
- Shirataki - noodles low in carbs and calories
Japanese Clear Soup Recipe Links
Here at Amazon
More by this Author
Cedar planking is a fantastic culinary technique to use with many things but cedar planked salmon is one of the best things you'll find. Try this great (and easy) recipe for salmon on cedar planks and see if you don't...
Easy way to cook roast beef. This works with the toughest cuts of beef. Easy and delicious.
In a tight economy, how much should you pay a pet sitter? It depends on many factors including what kind of pet, age of the pet, what the pet sitter has to do and even how far the pet sitter has to drive to take care...