Cooking Pork - A Recipe for Carnitas in the Slow Cooker
Recipe for Pork Carnitas in the Slow Cooker
Cooking pork doesn't have to be difficult. Don't let the short list of ingredients and simplicity of this recipe for carnitas fool you. It is great for filling tacos, burritos, enchiladas or for making taco salads. It is extremely easy and yields tender flavorful shredded meat.
2 - 1 oz. Taco Seasoning Packets
3 Lbs Country Style Pork Ribs
1 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
1 Cup Water
- Rub ribs with taco seasoning so they are completely covered.
- Heat oil in large frying pan, brown ribs on all sides. Place ribs into slow cooker.
- Deglaze pan with water. Pour water over ribs. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
- Remove ribs leaving juices in slow cooker. Remove any bones from ribs and shred meat with 2 forks. Return meat to slow cooker and mix well with juices. Cover and continue cooking on low for an additional hour.
- Serve with tongs or a slotted spoon.
- Keep an eye on your local grocery store's circular, sometimes country style pork ribs can be purchased for less than $2 per pound.
- Save money on taco seasoning by purchasing a large container at a big box store like Costco or Sam's Club, then simply use the amount recommended for two batches of tacos.