Online Recipe for Cornish Hens
This simple online recipe for cornish hens includes the use of roasted peppers and peanuts.
Have you decided to stay home for Valentine's Day? Here is a recipe for a romantic dinner at home. There's something about a cornish hen dinner that's just special. The 2009 Inauguration celebratory lunch for Barack Obama included a menu of duck and pheasant among other food choices. Like duck or pheasant, cornish hen seems to fit well in the category for a special meal. In contrast to my other hub, Restaurants for Valentine's Day, http://hubpages.com/hub/Restaurants-For-Valentines-Day, you can use this recipe for staying in.
- You can buy a package of two raw cornish hens for approximately $6, when on sale in your local supermarket.
- You can keep cornish hens frozen until you are ready to prepare them or you can cook them fresh within a couple of days of purchase.
- When you are ready to prepare the cornish hens, allow them to thaw adequately if they were frozen.
- You can either allow them to sit on a shelf in the bottom portion of the refrigerator, overnight or you can allow a package of frozen cornish hens to sit on the kitchen counter for a while until thawed a bit.
- Remove the packaging and rinse the meat well with water, lemon and vinegar.
- It is likely that there will be a plastic pack of giblets stuffed in each bird.
- This must be removed and the innards also rinsed well.
- Next, after the final rinse, allow the meat to marinate in a bowl will two teaspoons of olive oil and dashes of the following spices: parsley, garlic, paprika, black pepper, salt, cayenne pepper.
- Line a large, deep baking pan with foil for easy cleanup and coat the foil with a couple drops of olive oil.
- Chop up a medley of green peppers, red peppers, seeded chile peppers, onions and peanuts and set aside.
- In a 400 degree preheated oven or broiler, place the baking pan with the cornish hens.
- After the first 25 minutes of cooking, remove the pan from the oven.
- Using tongs, stuff each cornish hen with some of the peanuts and peppers mix.
- Sprinkle any excess peanuts/peppers on top of each bird.
- Around the sides of the cornish hens, place some slices of raw or slightly pre-boiled potatoes.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with a bit of salt and pepper and place the baking pan in the oven for an additional 25 minutes.
- Flip the potato slices midway during heating (after about 10 minutes).
- Remove pan from oven and enjoy your meal!
Please rate this Cornish hens recipe
More by this Author
This is a recipe for prime rib encrusted with garlic. It is terrific for holidays and special occasions or as an 'ordinary day' indulgence. If you thought that you could only eat prime rib in the restaurants, this...
This hub discusses how to cook turkey wings with a slow cooker. This simple slow cooker recipe for turkey wings yields delicious results.
Delicious meatballs are possible without breadcrumbs! Whether you don't eat breadcrumbs or none are readily available, try this recipe plus a savory tomato sauce garnished with parsley and spices.