Rate My Country-Style Squash
Country-Style Squash Made Me a Squash Lover
When I was growing up, my mom tried to get me to eat my vegetables, with little cooperation from me. I did not like mushrooms, green peppers, or onions and would pick them off my pizza. Except for green beans, if the vegetable was green, I would not eat it. One of the things I swore I would never try was avocado and guacamole (much less put avocado in my hair). It reminded me of baby vomit. Squash had a silly name, and all I could think of was squashing something.
These are just a few examples of the silly reasons why children may not eat vegetables.
Who would think that in my adulthood, I would grow to love vegetables and green foods? Definitely, not my mother! I believe each time I became pregnant, I would crave foods I never liked before.
One day, I was having dinner with my neighbor, and she cooked up this amazing Country-Style Squash. I began to love squash after trying this.
- 16 ounces Hickory-smoked bacon, fried
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, diced
- 3 yellow squash, sliced
- black pepper, to taste
- Some love...
How to Cook Country-Style Squash
- To begin, fry the bacon in a large frying pan, over medium low to medium heat, until it becomes partially cooked.
- Add the green pepper and let it saute with the bacon while you dice your onion.
- Add the onion and allow it to saute with the bacon and green pepper. Dice the cloves of garlic and add them to the mixture.
- While everything is cooking, slice the squash into thin pieces. Once your bacon is closer to being cooked, and the green pepper and onion have softened up, add the squash to the frying pan.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and cover the frying pan. Be sure to stir the ingredients a few times, so the bacon will not burn to the frying pan.
- Allow the mixture to continue cooking for another 10 minutes, or until the squash softens and is cooked thoroughly. The squash is done cooking when it starts to curl up and the seeds start to fall out.
- Be sure to follow these steps in order. The trick to making Country-Style Squash is the order in which the ingredients are added. This specific order brings the flavor out in this dish in a particular way. And, don't forget to enjoy your Country-Style Squash! If you try this dish at home, please come back to this recipe hub and rate it. Also, feel free to comment and let me know how others enjoyed this recipe.
Alternatives to Consider
If you are a health nut and want to add more vegetables to this dish, consider using other bell peppers, along with the green pepper. Also, you can add zucchini to this dish if you are looking to have more green vegetables in this dish. Just replace one yellow squash with one zucchini.
|Serving size: 3/4 cup|
|Calories from Fat||180|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 20 g||31%|
|Saturated fat 7 g||35%|
|Carbohydrates 9 g||3%|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 5 g||10%|
|Cholesterol 22 mg||7%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
More by this Author
Trolls can be found in many places on the internet. Dealing with trolls can be irritating. This article will help you understand what a troll really is...
Hunting for morel mushrooms is a ton of fun, not to mention great exercise. Here are tips to help you find those morels...
Dealing with a narcissist is an irritating and draining experience. Living with one is even worse. This article gives helpful advice for how to outsmart and avoid falling prey to a narcissist.