Cozy Winter Recipes, Soup and Stew, To Make With Leftover Holiday Ham
Don't let your holiday ham go to waste!
So you are nearing the end of your spiral cut holiday ham, and you can't stand the thought of one more ham sandwich. Plain old ham just doesn't cut it anymore, yet you can't bear to waste food and there's plenty of meat left on the bone.
Fear not! There are countless cozy soups that can be made form that leftover holiday ham. And if you are all hammed-out now, the beauty of soup is that you can freeze it to eat later, when ham once again sounds appetizing.
These soups are easy to make, and are just a handful of suggestions of soups or stews you can make with leftover ham:
- Lentil soup with ham
- White bean soup with ham
- Yellow split pea with ham
- Ham, kale and bean stew
You can easily find a recipe for any of these soups online, or you can wing it and make it up as you go along.
Soup basics: easy tips to make up your own soup or stew recipe
When you want to make a soup, any soup, simply remember these simple tips:
- A good base for almost any soup starts with diced onions, carrots and celery sautéed until they are soft.
- Use low-sodium chicken broth, since soups is salty to begin with and ham will only add more salt. You also can add cold water instead of chicken broth.
- For a rich, slow-cooked stew, add the bone to the stock pot and simmer the soup for a long time. The extra bits of ham will fall off the bone and season the broth.
- Otherwise, throw in canned or rehydrated beans and lentils, seasoning (nutmeg and allspice taste particularly nice with ham), dark leafy greens — soup is easy and almost anything goes!
If soup isn't your thing, try adding diced ham to homemade mac and cheese.
More by this Author
Learn how to make easy-to-freeze egg cups for a healthy, diet-friendly breakfast on the go. Start your day right and lose weight!
A friend gave me this cauliflower recipe, saying her kids call it candy, and that it is the one vegetable dish they BEG her to make. This roasted, spiced cauliflower recipe is extremely simple to make, and even people...
Easy tips, recipes and recommendations to eliminate foul cat pee odors.
No comments yet.