Crab and White Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Mushroom Caps
Crab and White Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
Crab stuffed mushroom are low carb!
Making these stuffed mushrooms is easy and even the kids can help. Double the recipe if you are expecting a crowd as these tasty appetizers will go fast!
Of course you can actually use other flavors of cheese, but the aged white cheddar gives this recipe a fabulous flavor. Using the white flake crab meat promises no crunchy shell pieces inside. Always spend your dollars on premium crab meat.
We have actually eaten this dish for dinner. Five or six of these will fill you up and for crunch we add a few whole grain crackers.
Bob says these are the best stuffed mushrooms ever! What do you think?
Five ingredients for crab stuffed mushrooms
- 16 large white mushrooms, stems removed
- 6 oz. can premium white flaked crab meat
- 3 - 4 T. butter
- 1/4 cup Progresso garlic & herb breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup divided aged white cheddar cheese, cut in cubes and slices
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder, or add to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
How to stuff mushroom capsClick thumbnail to view full-size
How to make crab stuffed mushrooms
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms by twisting and pulling them. Use a paring knife to clean out the inside of the caps if needed. Save the stems to slice and add to omelets :-)
- Gently clean the mushrooms with a damp paper towel. Arrange them on a foil lined 9 x 13 x 2 inch glass baking pan or cookie sheet.
- In a separate microwave safe bowl, melt the two to four tablespoons of butter in a microwave for about 40 seconds.
- Thoroughly drain the canned crab meat in a colander. Squeeze out the excess liquid by hand. Allow the crab meat to drain in the colander for about a minute. Shaking the meat around will help drain off the liquid.
- Add the drained crab meat to the melted butter and stir to coat the meat with the butter.
- Add 1/4 cup of the garlic and herb breadcrumbs and stir. Add salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Stir again.
- Add a quarter cup of the aged white cheddar cheese and microwave the whole mixture for a minute to melt the cheese.
- Stir the mixture until it forms a ball that sticks together.
- With a teaspoon, scoop out a bit of the stuffing and press into the hollow cap of each mushroom. Continue stuffing the mushrooms until all are filled.
- Add a small square of aged cheddar cheese to the top of the stuffing. This will take about another 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Sprinkle some of the garlic and herb breadcrumbs over all of the mushrooms.
- Bake the mushroom and stuffing mixture for 25 to 30 minutes at 425 degrees F.
- The mushrooms are done when the tops are golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Serve these appetizers with crackers or toothpicks. Serve hot.
Preparation and Cook Time
For each large stuffed mushroom cap:
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Unsaturated fat 2 g|
|Carbohydrates 2 g||1%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 10 g||20%|
|Cholesterol 25 mg||8%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
To wash or not to wash mushrooms.
There are two schools of thought on washing raw mushrooms. Since mushrooms are mostly composed of water, it is thought that they should not be submerged into more water. They will absorb too much liquid.
Today's chefs believe that wiping mushrooms clean with a damp paper towel is sufficient. If any bacteria remain, it will be killed during the cooking process.
If you prefer to eat raw mushrooms on a salad, there is only a small probability that germs and viruses would be present anyway as infectious agents do not thrive on these healthy vegetables. Be sure to wash your hands thoroughly before handling raw vegetables because your hands do carry germs and viruses easily.
Mushrooms and Gout?
Mushrooms are listed as one of the foods that can cause a gout attack. Have you experienced a gout attack caused or mad worse by eating mushroom?
Do other foods cause a gout attack for you? Please let me know in the comments section if you have had issues with gout and what foods can cause gout attacks. Thank you!
© 2012 Austinstar
More by this Author
Top 10 Best Texas Food Recipes and How to Cook Like a Texan. Chili, cornbread, beans, home fries, Chicken Fried Steak, spare ribs, brisket, frito pie, enchiladas and pecan pie.
Bake your own healthy snack bars with oatmeal, peanut butter, chocolate, walnuts and plenty of fiber. These great snack bars are quick and easy to make and take on the go. Bake a batch on Sunday and take them to work...
Top 10 very effective uses for distilled white vinegar. Cure ringworm, athlete's foot, soothe insect bites, help for yeast infections and more...