Crab and Spinach Mini Quiche Recipe
Easy and Delicious Mini Quiche Recipe
As a busy mom of four, I am consistently challenged with coming up with easy, but delicious recipes for the family. After I'm done carpooling, helping with homework and running laundry, I want to prepare a meal that is healthy, yet light on preparation time and effort. Mini quiches are a perfect, quick and healthy dinner idea.
Recently, I started buying farm-fresh eggs from a friend. These organic, range free eggs are significantly more flavorful than store-bought varieties. They are just perfect for my crab and spinach mini quiche recipe!
As traditionally prepared, quiche is an egg pie. Eggs are scrambled with other fresh ingredients and spices and poured into a pie crust. After baking in the oven and a short "rest" time before slicing, quiche is an easy and delicious meal.
Please Rate this Recipe
Ingredients for Crab and Spinach Mini Quiche Recipe
- 6 large eggs
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup Asiago cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup fresh crab meat, shelled and precooked
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cooking spray
Cook Time for Crab and Spinach Mini Quiche Recipe
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- Yields: 12 Mini Quiches - serves 6 people
Instructions for Crab and Spinach Mini Quiche Recipe
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C); Prepare muffin pan with cooking spray, or lightly grease with margarine or shortening
- Cook chopped onion in olive oil over medium heat in a skillet approximately 2 minutes; Add chopped spinach and cook for 3 additional minutes Drain liquid and set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and milk together; Add cheeses, and salt and pepper to taste
- Divide spinach and onion mixture among the 12 muffin cups, approximately 2 T each, then top with crab meat, about 1 T each Pour egg mixture over the spinach and crab in each muffin cup until filled
- Bake crab and spinach mini quiches at 375 F until eggs are set and top is slightly browned, approximately 18-20 minutes
- Allow to cool 5 minutes before gently removing from muffin cups.
Tips for Crab and Spinach Mini Quiche Recipe
This crab and spinach mini quiche recipe is high in vitamins and minerals and low in fat.
Without a crust, preparation time is significantly reduced. This delicious meal will be ready to enjoy in about half an hour!
In our recipe, we used fresh Dungeness Crab that my friend caught off the Oregon Coast. However, if you do not wish to use real, precooked crab meat, works in its place. Feel free to substitute your favorite cheese/cheese blend for the varieties set forth above. Mozzarella cheese in place of cheddar will give the mini quiches a mellow, softer taste. imitation crab
Another recipe variation to try is to add 1/4 cup chopped roasted tomatoes. Stir into the onion and spinach mixture for the last minute in the skillet. Prepare the recipe otherwise as instructed.
Perhaps one of the healthiest recipe modifications is to use egg whites instead of whole eggs. Replace the 6 eggs with 8 egg whites and you will cut out all of the cholesterol, make the dish virtually fat-free and save about 80 calories per serving.
Nutrition Information for Crab and Mini Quiche Recipe (whole eggs)
|Serving size: 2 mini quiches|
|Calories from Fat||72|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 8 g||12%|
|Saturated fat 3 g||15%|
|Carbohydrates 3 g||1%|
|Protein 14 g||28%|
|Cholesterol 200 mg||67%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
How to Shell a Crab
Serving Crab and Spinach Mini Quiche
For a family dinner, I usually serve crab and spinach mini quiche with soup and salad during cooler months, or with a light fruit salad in the summertime. Two mini quiches each is a single serving.
If you wish, consider topping the crab and spinach mini quiches with 1/2 tablespoon of fresh sour cream and/or tomato salsa.
Because these are bite-sized and delicious, the mini quiches make an easy, yet impressive appetizer, as well. Line a tray with greens, then display the crab and spinach quiches on top.
Leftovers keep well in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, but do not leave the mini quiches out for more than an hour before refrigerating.
Mini Quiche Recipe with Crusts
More by this Author
Here's a great recipe for honey spare ribs. Looking for pork recipes? This rib sauce recipe will keep you satisfied!
Delicious turkey burger recipes for a new taste and fewer calories and fat
The 25 best romantic movies are films about love, loss, and forgiveness. Watch one with your sweetheart or best friend.