Cream of Asparagus Soup Recipe
Delicious Asparagus Soup
Easy to Make
This soup is super easy to make and versatile. You can use chicken stock instead of vegetable stock or greek yogurt instead of the sour cream.
Change the herbal flavor by substituting basil for the tarragon or other herbs that compliment asparagus. Herbs that work well with asparagus are lemon balm, chives, dill, sage and thyme.
The recipe calls for two pounds of asparagus. Before cooking asparagus for a meal, I save my ends of asparagus in the freezer after blanching them first. The stockpile of ends works well for making this soup. Pureeing the soup will eliminate any toughness or stringiness the ends might have. To learn how to cook perfect asparagus visit How to Boil Asparagus.
Serve this soup with toasted baguette or a slice of herbed goat chevre. Believe it or not asparagus is very difficult to pair with wine because of its chemical make up. The intense taste of asparagus makes wine taste grassy and even rotten. The sour cream in this recipe will help a bit if you must drink wine. Pair it with something with mineral or effervescent qualities like a Sauvignon Blanc or a sweeter, aromatic wine like a Reisling or Gruner Veltliner. Beer is a better choice for asparagus. Try a Belgian Tripel or a Farmhouse Saison. The spring like hoppiness of these beers compliment this spring vegetable extremely well.
- 1/2 stick butter, unsalted
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and minced
- 1/4 cup tarragon, fresh, chopped
- dash salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed and cut into pieces
- 6 cups vegetable stock, low sodium
- 1 pint sour cream, at room temperature
- 2 tsp. tarragon, fresh, chopped, set aside for garnish
- Use a large saucepan to melt the butter and saute both the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes or until tender. Add asparagus and tarragon and saute for 5 more minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock to the pan and bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Use a hand immersion blender to blend the stock and asparagus until smooth. If you do not have a hand blender, transfer the soup to a food processer after cooling for 5 minutes and puree until smooth.
- Return the soup to the sauce pan and add the sour cream. Blend well and season to your taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Serve the soup topped with a garnish of fresh tarragon and toasted baguette slices on the side.
More Great Recipes!
- To Love Me is to Feed Me
Home made recipes that are compforting and full of flavor. We love "To Love Me Is To Feed Me" and so will you!
More by this Author
The differences between a micro-brewery and a craft brewery are defined here. Craft beer distinguishes itself from other beers in certain ways. It is easy to confuse the two terms and this article cleary separates the...
Pizza toppings do not have to be boring. Top a crust with sweet or savory depending on your mood. Here are 25 unusual pizza topping and recipe ideas that your whole family will dig in to.
Celtic triangle, triquetra, triad and triagular knot. The symbolism of the knot, what the triquetra means, where it is found and how to draw a Celtic triangular knot.