Easy Cream of Asparagus Soup Recipe - Low Calorie Soup Recipe
This is my own personal cream of asparagus soup recipe. It’s simple and easy. It’s very creamy and filling, yet LOW in calories. You’ll think this soup is made with lots of cream and butter - think again!
Even more exciting is that this low calorie soup recipe only takes 20 minutes and uses just 6 ingredients, well 7 if you include the garnish! I love having this dish for lunch and always pair it with a simple salad. It’s also a great dinner appetizer, just make sure to serve a tiny cup (it’s so filling, you’re guests won’t be hungry for the main course!)
Serving Size: 2 (1 cup) bowls for an entrée or 4 (½ cup appetizer) servings
Ingredients in Cream of Asparagus Soup
- One can of low-sodium chicken broth (14 oz)
- One can of asparagus (16 oz)
- 1 small Vidalia onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 teaspoons of flour
- Garlic (1 - 3 cloves, depending on the freshness and your personal tastes)
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice (completely optional)
- Garnish - A green herb such as Parsley, Marjoram, etc. - your choice! (completely optional)
That’s all you need. Oh, you’ll also need a blender or a hand stirrer. Got everything? Let’s get started!
Directions for Cream of Asparagus Soup
- In a large cooking pan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter on medium heat and sauté your onion and minced garlic. Watch closely as you do not want your mixture to stick onto the pan…add a few tablespoons from your can of chicken broth in order to prevent your ingredients from sticking.
- Add your flour, stir and add the rest of the chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil.
- Drained your canned asparagus and stir into the cooking pan.
- Boil for approximately 5 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Pour the contents into a glass blender and puree until very smooth.
- Add your lemon juice and puree again (optional).
- Return to your pan and keep on low heat if you need to keep the soup warm, otherwise you can serve it right from the blender.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of green herbs and serve.
Variations and Notes for My 20 Minute Cream of Asparagus Soup Recipe
- You can use fresh asparagus, however you will need to boil for 30 minutes or so.
- Do NOT add salt to this recipe, until you’ve taste tested it. I was surprised at how flavorful it is (and I love salty soups). This is one soup that is not necessary to add any salt to.
- I sometimes add in a can of un-marinated artichoke hearts and another half can of chicken broth for a even more flavorful soup.
- For even lower calories, omit butter and opt for a tiny bit of olive oil, instead. Or, use low calorie cooking spray that is made for sautéing and high heat.
Other Low Calorie Eating Articles
- Low Calorie Food
Healthy Low Calorie Recipes & Meal Ideas for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snacks, Desserts & Beverages!
- Best 100 Calorie Snacks for Diets
- Low Calorie Dinner Ideas
- Low Calorie Lunch Ideas
- Low Calorie Breakfast Ideas
- Quick & Easy Sunshine Summer Salad Recipe
- Healthy Eating Strategies to Lose Weight
Calories in Cream of Asparagus Soup
Again, it’s hard to believe that this soup is only 127.5 calories per serving! It’s so rich and filling, so I decided to break down the calories. After you taste this cream of asparagus soup recipe, you won’t believe me when I say it’s a low calorie soup!
One can of low-sodium chicken broth: 10 calories
One can of asparagus: 60 calories
1 small onion: 45 calories
1 tablespoon of butter: 105 calories
2 teaspoons of flour: 35 calories
Garlic : 0 calories
Lemon juice: 0 calories
Herbs: 0 calories
Total calories: 127.5 calories per bowl serving (63 calories per half cup serving)
More by this Author
Within 45 minutes, you could be eating delicious and easy to make cream puffs! This recipe is super easy, super quick (just 30 minutes required to bake and just 10-15 to preparation time). Dazzle your dinner guests or...
I am a huge frozen dinner fan. Would I prefer to eat them opposed to normal, freshly cooked meals? No, way. However, they are wonderful if you are in a pinch and there are some pretty healthy options out there. Frozen...
Find out the basics of weight loss.