Dessert Recipes: Creme Fraiche Aux Fruits - French Cream With Fruit
What Is Creme Fraiche?
By definition, purchased or homemade creme fraiche is a dairy product produced by a process similar to that of preparing sour cream except that no ingredients are added. In French it means 'heavy cream'. You can make this at home by adding a small amount of cultured buttermilk to heavy cream. You then allow it to stand out for several hours at room temperature until bacterial cultures begin to act on the cream.
The French use creme fraiche for many things such as thickening or enriching soups and sauces to using as a garnish on pastries and desserts. This dessert choice uses creme fraiche and makes an elegant yet simple dessert in minutes. It would also be great to use in mashed potatoes. This dessert recipe is a tweak from my Betty Crocker's International Cookbook from the 1970s. It goes to show some things are timeless!
Creme Fraiche With Fruit
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/3 cup dairy sour cream
- 2-3 cups assorted fresh fruit (see above)
- Ground nutmeg or sugar or both
- Gradually stir the whipping cream into dairy sour cream.
- Cover and refrigerate no longer than 48 hours.
- Spoon over fruit.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg and/or sugar.
- Slices Peaches
- Cubed Pineapple
- Firm, ripe banana cut at the last moment
Resources Available Here On Amazon
How To Make Creme Fraiche
Time: 8-14 hours for culturing
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- Combine 2 ingredients and place in a glass container or jar. Cover.
- Let stand at room temperature (about 70 degrees) for 8-24 hours - or until it thickens.
- Stir well and refrigerate.
This will last in the refrigerator for 10 days.
USES FOR CREME FRAICHE
- Spoon over fresh fruits, puddings or warm cobblers
- It may be boiled into recipes because it will not curdle
- Thicken soups or sauces with it
- Add to mashed potatoes instead of milk
- Cream Anglaise Aux Fruits - Creamy Custard On Fruit
Creme anglaise is a pourable French custard and is most often used as a dessert cream or sauce, although it can be eaten 'stand alone". It also surprisingly can be used in ices or ice cream as well. This...
More by this Author
A light and luscious fruity dessert, apricot souffle is a great ending to any meal. Part of the recipe can be made up to a day ahead and refrigerated.
EASY DESSERT RECIPES If you're looking for an easy dessert recipe and one that's quick and easy to make, this peach cobbler recipe will fit the bill. You can make this dessert any time of year and it makes a...
EMDR (eye movement desensitization and reprogramming) therapy is useful in treating many anxiety and panic disorders. Learn how to self-administer this therapy anytime and anyplace.