Crispy Oven Roasted Smashed New Potatoes (Recipe). These Golden and Crunchy Potatoes are Fantastic!
There’s been a discussion (love-in) on E-Gullet recently about a certain kind of oven baked smashed potatoes, and so good were the reviews of these little beauties, that I just had to give em’ a go…and I’m not sorry I did – They are delicious!
They are also very easy…and they will steal the show from whatever meat you serve them beside, so don’t spend too much on steak on the night that you cook these up!
Oven Baked Smashed Potatoes
- As many new potatoes as you would like to eat
- Lots of good olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh herbs
- Parchment paper is very useful
- Preheat your oven to 450-475
- Boil up as many potatoes as you’d like in some nicely salted water (taste it, it should taste like the sea…adding enough salt to the boiling water is CRUCIAL!!! to a well seasoned inside.)
- When the potatoes are cooked through, drain the water and set aside for a moment as you spread a parchment paper over a baking tray.
- Pour olive oil generously over the bottom of the parchment covered tray, making little pools of oil - as many pools as you have potatoes. Use about 1Tbls of oil under each potato.
- Place a potato on each pool of oil, and squish it down flat over the top of the oil. Repeat with the remaining potatoes.
- Drizzle another Tbls of oil over the top of each potato and then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- If desired, sprinkle on a little fresh chopped rosemary or thyme (freshly minced chives are also very nice.)
- Bake for 20 minutes or so in your very hot oven until the potatoes are crispy and golden on top.
Delicious! These go perfectly beside grilled beef or pork chops.
You can pre boil the potatoes hours ahead of roasting, as a time saver, if desired. The potatoes can also be microwaved until tender, as an alternative to boiling.
Possible variations include:
- Substituting duck fat or bacon grease for the olive oil
- Mashing the potatoes first, instead of smashing them on the pan, and then dropping spoonfuls of mashed potatoes onto each spoonful of oil
- Preparing these on the stove top, by adding a good amount of oil to a cast iron skillet and then smashing the potatoes down into the preheated pan, turning over once (this method makes some tasty spuds, but they are a little heavier than the baked version.
- 4 easy steps to great pot roast every time!
Nothing beats the homey mouthwatering aromas of a pot roast percolating in the oven on a crisp day…permeating the house with the promise of a great, succulent and fall apart tender meal to come!...
- Braised Mexican Steak Recipe. Oven Cooked One-Dish M...
There is something to be said for the meaty one pot braised dishes of fall and winter. Something to be said for coming home to a warm and fragrant kitchen and something to be said for curling up with a book...
- 6 Steps to Delicious Braised Dishes. Easy Tips and T...
Easy tips and tricks for better braised dishes. How to make pot roast or short ribs tase as good as they smell - every time!
More by this Author
Easy tricks to perfect roasted vegetables every time.
10 easy variations on everyday boiled potatoes
Before the invention of oil thermometers, cooks figured out simple ways to check oil temperature for safe deep frying. Now those secret tricks can be yours!