Crockpot Cooking - Recipes, Facts and Tips
Crockpots or slow cookers can be one of the best kitchen appliances you'll ever own. They can save you a lot of time and energy when preparing the evening meal. You just throw all your ingredients in that morning set the crock-pot on low and let it do all the work. When you and your family are ready to sit down at the dinner table - voila! Dinner is ready. Not only are they convenient, the crockpot cooks the food slowly so that all the juices remain and the food turns out delicious nearly every time. Besides making meals, the crockpot can be used for beverages, appetizers, sauces, dips, soups and even desserts.
Fast Facts about the Slow Cooker
- The crockpot (or slow cooker) was invented in 1971
- The crockpot cooks on low at 160 degrees
- The crockpot cooks on high at 190-200 degrees (always below boiling)
- Crockpots come in different sizes from 1 pint to 7 quarts
- Crockpots come in round or oval shapes
- Crockpots use as much electricity as a light bulb
- A crockpot makes a great housewarming or bridal shower gift
Slow Cooking Tips
- No matter how tempting, don't lift the lid while its cooking (unless the recipe calls for stirring). Lifting the lid will enable heat to escape.
- Ground meats should be browned and drained first.
- One hour of cooking on high equals 2-2 1/2 hours on low.
- Make hard-boiled eggs by covering eggs with water in the crockpot and cook on low for 3 1/2 hours.
- Unplug and cool the crockpot before adding water to clean, otherwise the liner could crack.
- Always thaw meat before placing it in the slow cooker.
- If you live in a high altitude, cook for an additional 30 minutes for each hour of cooking time that the recipe calls for.
Chicken in a Pot
1 pkg. frozen mixed vegetables
1 1.5 oz. envelope beef stroganoff sauce mix
1 3 lb. whole chicken
1/2 tsp. each: paprika, onion powder and garlic powder
Combine vegetables and sauce mix in the crock.
Sprinkle seasonings on chicken.
Place the chicken in the crock over the vegetables.
Cover and cook on: Low - 8 hrs. High - 4 hrs.
*I like to serve the vegetables over hot cooked rice
Classic Beef Roast with Mushroom-Onion Gravy
3 lbs. boneless beef chuck roast
1 1 oz. envelopes dry onion soup mix
1 10 oz. can condensed cream of mushroom soup
Place roast in crock.
Sprinkle onion soup on roast then spoon on undiluted soup.
Cover and cook on: Low - 8 hrs. High - 4 hrs.
2-1/2 lbs. frozen cooked meatballs
1 10-1/2 oz. can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 10-1/2 oz. can golden mushroom soup, undiluted
1 can beef broth
1 envelope brown gravy mix
Combine all ingredients in the crock. Stir well
Cover and cook on: Low - 6 hrs. High - 3 hrs.
Country-Style BBQ Spareribs
2 lbs. pork spareribs, cut into serving-size pieces
1 T. oil
2 onions, sliced
1-1/2 c. bbq sauce
In large skillet, brown ribs in oil over medium-high heat.
Reserve drippings, transfer ribs to slow cooker.
Sauté onions in drippings until tender; place in crock.
Cover ribs and onions with bbq sauce.
Cover and cook on: Low - 6 to 8 hours,
adding a little water if necessary
Chicken Artichoke Pasta
16 oz. pkg. frozen grilled chicken breasts
1 T. chicken bouillon granules
1/4 c. water
17 oz. jar Alfredo sauce
6-1/2 oz. jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained
6 oz. pkg. angel hair pasta, cooked
Place chicken strips in crock with bouillon and water.
Cover and cook on low setting for 2 to 3 hrs.
Stir in sauce and artichokes;
turn slow cooker to high setting and
heat for an additional 30 minutes.
Serve over prepared pasta.
Creamy Beef Stroganoff
1-1/2 lbs. stew beef, cubed
1 onion, sliced
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 T. catsup
2 t. Worcestershire sauce
1 t. pepper
1 to 2 c. sour cream
12 oz. pkg. medium egg noodles, cooked
Place beef and onion in slow cooker; set aside.
Combine soup, catsup, Worcestershire sauce and pepper;
Stir into beef mixture.
Cover and cook on: Low - 8-10 hrs.
Stir in sour cream and heat through.
Spoon over prepared noodles.
Country Cherry Cobbler
2 21 oz. cans cherry pie filling
18-1/2 oz. pkg. yellow cake mix
1/4 c. softened butter
1/2 c. chopped nuts
Garnish: ice cream or whipped topping
Spread pie filling in a slow cooker; set aside.
Combine dry cake mix and butter
with a fork until course crumbs form;
sprinkle over pie filling.
Sprinkle nuts on top.
Cover and cook on: Low - 3 hours
Serve warm with ice cream or whipped topping
More by this Author
This review is for the Caramel Mocha espresso drink that is one of the most recent drinks added to McDonalds McCafe menu. Find out what one reviewer thinks about the drink along with the cost and nutrition facts.
Look here to see the differences between Starbucks and McDonalds McCafe popular espresso drinks. Compare prices, calories and caffeine content.
There are not nearly as many female Christian artists as there are male Christian artists. Because they are not as prevalent Cari Jean decided to pay tribute to her ten favorite female Christian artists including...