Recipe: How To Make Homemade Caramel Popcorn Balls
Crispy Sweets Loved by Kids
Caramel corn is cooked popcorn smothered with caramel or molasses. Popcorn and caramel is a combination of sweetness and crunchiness that create delightful crackles when eaten. To create lighter caramel corn with more buttery flavor, the white sugar-based caramel is used, instead of the brown sugar versions.
Caramel corn can also contain peanuts or almonds. Various caramelized flavorings are available: chocolate, strawberry, watermelon, coconut, green apple, and blueberry. Different flavors of caramel corn are often sold in candy shops and specialized stores in shopping malls and milk bars. Caramel corn has been a traditional decoration in Christmas trees.
In this recipe for caramel popcorn balls you'll find an easy way to make these delicious treats!
This caramel corn recipe can be made into 20 pieces of cute popcorn balls. Yields 2 quarts.
- 1 cup of unpopped popcorn
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, divide in two
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1 pinch of iodized salt
- 2 tablespoons of butter, softened
- ½ cup of dark corn syrup
- ½ cup of water
- ½ tablespoon of distilled white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
Mmmm... Popcorn Balls Cooking
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil to a large saucepan over high heat. When oil is hot, add ½ cup of popping corn. Put cover and keep pan moving constantly. Repeat until all corn has been popped.
- When corn stops popping, remove from heat. Place popped corn into a buttered bowl.
- In a smaller saucepan over medium heat, combine well together sugar, salt, butter, dark corn syrup, and water. Stir to dissolve sugar faster.
- Boil sugar mixture to hard ball stage.
- Remove caramel from heat. Add soda. Stir continuously to dissolve the soda.
- Stir in hot caramel syrup over popcorn. Work quickly because caramel sets up fast.
- Spread out caramelized popcorn on a waxed sheet to cool. Form popcorn balls when popcorn are not so hot anymore, using fingers dabbed on butter.
- Cool completely before storing in containers with air-tight lids.
How to Make Stove Top Caramel Popcorn - Part 1
How to Make Stove Top Caramel Popcorn - Part 2
How to Make Stove Top Caramel Popcorn - Part 3
My Rating... Delicious!
More by this Author
Oatmeal has many health benefits but they are not our favorite food because of the bland taste. In this hub is a collection of oatmeal cookie recipes. You can add chocolate chips, coconut, fruits and nuts to create...
The Coconut Cream Pie is a classic and popular dessert, and an old but also a favorite recipe by cooks worldwide. Because of the many changes and additions made to this recipe, a variety of flavors had smothered the...
A do-it-yourself battery replacement is a real money-saver but you also have to be responsible with the proper disposal of your old battery. There are 5 important factors in choosing a car battery: size, brand, reserve...