Healthy Diet Tips And Greek Yogurt: Why Greek Style Yogurt Is Good For You
The Whey-In on Greek Yogurt
One of the best ingredients on the market these days in terms of learning the culinary basics is cooking with and using Greek yogurt.
It is one of the 7 best foods to add to your diet according to Cooking Light Magazine.
It has become very popular because of its many versatile properties as well as its healthy properties.
WHAT’S SO SPECIAL ABOUT GREEK YOGURT?
- Greek yogurt is higher in protein than regular yogurt. It is also lower in carbohydrates.
- Greek yogurt is thicker than regular yogurt. It is also creamier.
- No thickeners are added to Greek yogurt. Standard yogurt is strained twice – Greek yogurt is strained 3 times!
- Greek yogurt is low in sodium.
- There are different brands of Greek yogurt on the market today and some are organic while others are flavored. Many different percentages of milk fat are available in different brands - you can find just about any variation to suit you.
- Take a browse at the ingredients before purchasing to make sure that you get the yogurt that is the right one for you. While some brands are very low in calories, others are much higher because of the different milks used such as whole, 2% or 1%.
- It would seem logical that every brand of Greek yogurt would be created equal but they are not. By examining the nutritional information, I have found that Dannon Greek Yogurt has by far the least calories per serving.
- Some people think that Greek yogurt is too bitter for their tastes – especially the plain variety. However, adding just a few berries or any kind of fruit and maybe a sprinkling of walnuts and flax seed makes it totally palatable! I have added raspberries, strawberries, pineapple, banana and canaloupe.
- Standard yogurt has 2-3 times the calcium that Greek yogurt does. Calcium is lost by the third straining of the yogurt.
- Greek yogurt unlike regular yogurt can be used in stovetop cooking because it will not curdle or separate.
- You can bake with Greek yogurt but you can also bake with regular yogurt. I add it to meatloaf and it gives the meatloaf an additional moistness.
- Greek yogurt can be used to make a delicious cheesecake - but you can use regular plain yogurt too and get the same 'cheese'.
- The liquid that rises to the top of Greek or regular yogurt is the whey part of yogurt and you can stir that back into the yogurt – or save and add to soups and sauces for added nutrition.
- You can use Greek yogurt in place of sour cream.
- You can substitute Greek yogurt for half mayo in recipes.
- Greek yogurt substitutes for buttermilk or cream - or both. It works well in muffin recipes or any recipe that calls for the bite of buttermilk and the smoothness of cream.
- Use Greek yogurt instead of whole cream in sauces.
- Use Greek yogurt in sauces and dips such as a creamy cucumber sauce for grilled fish.
- Eating Greek yogurt as a midday snack is an excellent way to satisfy your hunger without eating yourself into trouble. It's a healthy choice for a snack and does not bring with it a crash hours later from a sugar high.
- Culinary Basics: How to Make Greek Yogurt Cucumber Sauce
Culinary basics is all about learning to use different ingredients for 'standard' recipes. Here is a new and improved version of Cucumber Sauce and is a 'must have' in the quest for healthy recipes. ...
- Culinary Basics: How to Make Greek Yogurt
Part of culinary basics these days is learning to cook with Greek yogurt to create healthy recipes. But wait - you can make your own Greek yogurt and save money. You can also control what goes into it. You...
- Make your own Greek Yogurt
Just turn on the Food Network and in no time you will see one of those talented chefs using greek-style yogurt for a myriad of recipes ranging from salads to desserts. The thick, creamy consistency of...
- Tzatziki (Greek Yogurt Sauce) Recipe
I love Greek and Mediterranean food. I often make falafel and when I do I compliment it with homemade tzatziki sauce. Some people refer to this sauce as yogurt sauce. As with anything else, there are a...
- Making Greek Yogurt
To make Greek yogurt, you first need to create some
- Yoplait Greek Yogurt: a Healthy and Delicious Choice
You've heard the saying many times that
More by this Author
Culinary basics should include trying out the Mexican fruit called the tomatillo. It is a versatile little fruit that comes from Mexico. It has a variety of uses but is primarily known for being used in salsa verde. ...
Drying herbs is an easy way to preserve your garden's harvest year round. It's also a very inexpensive way to get dried herbs for very little cost. I dry my herbs in a dehydrator but there are several methods. See...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE2
I learned the hard way not to put an ice pack directly on my skin. Here's how to treat ice burns quickly, and how to avoid them as well.