How To Cook Perfect Grilled Salmon
Culinary Basics - Grilled Salmon
This is a very unusual technique for grilling salmon - it is also the easiest recipe you will ever find!
Part of culinary basics is knowing what cooking technique to use when cooking fish. You want fish to be moist and yet you want fish to be done all the way through.
This technique for grilling fish certainly fits the bill. While this recipe is created for salmon, you can also use it for any other firm fish and other fattier fish such as mahi-mahi, tuna, etc.
I found this recipe initially on Cooks.com, however, I changed it up a bit to suit my own tastes. Experiment with it as well!
BASIC RECIPE FOR GRILLING SALMON
The original recipe on cooks.com called for mayonnaise but I am not a huge fan of using a lot of mayonnaise.
I also for some reason thought at first this recipe sounded a little 'out there'. However, the first time I tried it, I loved it - and it truly DID work. It's a great technique for grilling or roasting fish!
I soon began to experiment though with other mediums to 'moisturize' my fish. I find that I like my ingredients better than mayo! Of course you can just use mayo as the recipe called for.
- Salmon (or other fish) - in any quantity that you are going to grill
- Enough Greek yogurt and/or sour cream or a mixture of both to cover the flesh of the fish (I use a combination of both)
- Lemon or lime juice
- Minced garlic
- Herbs such as dill - I use basil, marjoram and thyme as well
- Ready the grill - foil line it, spray with vegetable spray or brush with a bit of olive oil or specialty oil such as walnut - have ready at medium-low heat.
- Wash fish and pat dry.
- Combine yogurt, sour cream, lemon or lime juice and garlic.
- Place salmon on a cookie sheet or large platter.
- Spread the yogurt/sour cream mixture over the flesh of the fish - completely encase the flesh of the fish in this mixture. (I say I'm applying its 'moisturizer')
- Now sprinkle with herbs, salt and pepper.
- Carefully place on foil-lined grill and cook over medium-low heat until done - about 30 minutes. The thickest part should be nice and flaky.
- Remove from heat, put on serving tray and enjoy!
It doesn't get much simpler than this!
SUMMING IT UP
A recipe doesn't have to be complicated to be delicious and this one certainly is succinct. It also gives you the best chance at keeping your salmon moist and delicious.
That is the great secret to culinary basics - knowing how to take your ingredients and using a cooking technique that brings out the best in what you have to work with.
Grilling salmon using this technique will give you rave reviews. You can leave the yogurt/sour cream sauce on the outside of the fish or remove some of it later. Either way, the leftovers are great on salads or used to make sandwiches.
Make sure you check out the other ways to cook fish and different kinds of fish you can use!
Cooks.com Original Recipe and More
- Mayonnaise Baked Fish - 213403 - Recipezaar
Try Recipe Mayonnaise Baked Fish - 213403 from Recipezaar.com. This recipe has a 0.00 star rating. Be the first to rate it
- Baked Fish in Mayonnaise and Mustard - 64049 - Recipezaar
Try Recipe Baked Fish in Mayonnaise and Mustard - 64049 from Recipezaar.com. This recipe has a 4.53 star rating and has been reviewed 15 times
- Cooks.com - Recipes - Baked Fish Mayonnaise Breadcrumb
- grilled halibut recipe | grilled fish recipes | barbecued fish recipes | fish recipes | grilled salm
try one of our grilled fish recipes, including our grilled halibut recipe.
- Classic Nantucket-Style Grilled Fish Steaks Recipe at Epicurious.com
Find the recipe for Classic Nantucket-Style Grilled Fish Steaks and other swordfish recipes at Epicurious.com
- Cooks.com - Recipes - Grill Salmon Mayonnaise
Three Ways to Grill Fish
Culinary Basics - Grilled Salmon with Potatoes
More Recipes and Grilling Information
- Culinary Basics: Planking - Cedar Plank Salmon
Planking is not for salmon alone! You can plank many different kinds of fish, meats, poultry or vegetables - even fruits. You can also plank cook on a camping trip! To learn more about the art of plank...
- A Cook's Guide to Lean Fishes
It seems that people are becoming more and more health conscious, especially when it comes to diet. As a result, fish has become an extremely popular dish, and many families try to consume at least a serving...
- Hubpages Cookbook: Salmon Recipes
Salmon has gained a lot of attention recently because it is one of the foods richest in heart-healthy Omega-3 fatty acids. Salmon is also a virtual cornucopia of other healthy nutrients, including vitamins A,...
- Grilled Fish
For most backyard grills, fish is the best choice. Are you shocked? A lot of people feel that way. When you consider grilling in the backyard, fish is not a food that immediately jumps out. That's a big...
- How To Grill Fish
As a chef I am always shocked when someone tells me that they dont know how to grill fish or that they are too afraid to even try grilling fish. The funny thing is that fish is best cooked fast over...
- Best Cooking Grills for Outdoor Kitchens
It is more fun to cook -- and to eat -- outside, especially when the weather is balmy and cooking in the kitchen makes you feel sticky. A barbecue party is easy to organize because you can grill the foods that youll be serving in front of your guests
- Grilled Salmon With Thyme Herb
Ingredients: 450 g fresh salmon 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil 2 tsp fresh lemon juice (lime) tsp salt Pinch freshly ground black pepper 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely 3tsp dried thyme herb Olive...
- Grilled salmon recipes
I am going to share with you first of my favorite grilled salmon recipes. Grilled Salmon Steaks with Marinated Tomatoes and Eggplant. I found this recipe in
- Cider marinated plank grilled salmon with apple butt...
This is my first Hub! I'm kind of nervous. Is my title long enough? I am going to kick things off with what has become, very quickly, my favorite salmon recipe ever. I started making this when I was in...
- World's Best Grilled Salmon Recipe
This is absolutely the world's best grilled salmon recipe. The grilled salmon tastes hot and spicy, but not overpowering. Even fish and seafood haters will love this grilled salmon! Instructions for baking salmon are also included.
- Grilled Salmon Made Easy
Grilling salmon can be a challenge. If it sticks to the grate, you've got fish in the fire. But, with the right tools, you can grill salmon like a pro. Preparing your fire. If you have a gas grill you need...
More by this Author
Easy way to cook roast beef. This works with the toughest cuts of beef. Easy and delicious.
Cedar planking is a fantastic culinary technique to use with many things but cedar planked salmon is one of the best things you'll find. Try this great (and easy) recipe for salmon on cedar planks and see if you don't...
I learned the hard way not to put an ice pack directly on my skin. Here's how to treat ice burns quickly, and how to avoid them as well.