Cupcake Decorating - How To Make Daffodil Cupcakes
Daffodil Cupcakes - No Cutters Required
These daffodil cupcake toppers are easy to make without any cutters of any kind - so why not give someone you know a treat and make them some pretty daffodil cupcakes.
Cupcake decorating is a great hobby, and there are plenty of things you can make without having to invest in expensive cake decorating equipment - as these lovely daffodil cake decorations show.
A box of handmade cupcakes makes a great gift, and daffodils are especially lovely for Mothers Day or Easter. There are 2 types of daffodil cupcake toppers shown here, so why not do a some of each for a really stunning present.
It's time to bring your creative side out to play and have a go at making them, all you need do is follow the instructions and have fun.
What You'll Need
The great thing about these is that the list of equipment is very short:
Cocktail Sticks (for the upright daffodils)
Green food colouring
Yellow sugarpaste / fondant
Green sugarpaste / fondant.
A few drops of water to act as glue
Standing Up Daffodil Cupake Decorations - Instructions
- Using green food colouring paint the cocktail sticks green for the daffodil stems. Leave to dry.
- Take a pea sized ball of yellow sugar paste and gently flatten it into a disc shape approx 2 cm across (see figure 1)
- Take 5 further balls of yellow sugarpaste - each half the size of your previous pea sized ball) and roll them into a cone shape (see figure 2)
- With your fingertips flatten each cone into a petal shape (see figure 3)
- Dab some water on the flattened disc and arrange the petals around the outside (see figure 4)
- Set aside to dry, ideally resting the daffodil head in a curved receptacle i.e. the bottom of an egg box, or an ice cube tray as shown in picture (see figure 5) - they will take approx 20 mins to dry to a point they can be handled - the longer you leave them the better.
- Repeat process until you have the required number of daffodil heads.
- Take a further ball of yellow sugarpaste and shape around the edge of a paint brush or similar object into a tube shape (this will be the centre of the daffodil flower) (see figure 6)
- Once the daffodil heads are dry dab a little water into the center and gently press the daffodil trumpet into place.
- Take a pea sized piece of green sugarpaste and flatten on one side. Dip the end of a cocktail stick into water and insert into the green sugarpaste - leave to set for a few minutes (see figure 7)
- Dab a little water onto the flattened side of the green sugarpaste and stick the
- daffodil head to it - leave to dry with the daffodil resting upwards (see figure 8)Once dried insert into cupcakes or cakes in your own arrangement.
Daffodils with Bow Cupcake Arrangement
To start follow steps 2 - 9 above.
Once you have your daffodil heads the final steps are as follows:
- Roll out 3 pieces of green sugarpaste for the daffodil stems and arrange them on your cupcake.
- Dab the top of each step with a little water and stick a daffodil head (as made previously) the the top of each stem (see figure 1)
- To make the bow, first roll a thin piece of yellow sugarpaste to a length of about 2 inches. Fold into an inverted V shape and place over the your daffodil stems (see figure 2)
- Take 2 further 2 inch long strips of yellow sugarpaste and fold them into loops, placing one each side of the top of the V, then place a small ball of yellow sugarpaste over the join to hide it (see figure 3)
Other Sugarpaste Projects You May Like
- How to Make Christening Cake Decorations
Making your own Christening Cake decorations or decorating your own Christening Cupcakes is a very fulfilling thing to do ~ and remarkably easy so long as you keep it simple as the decorations here will show....
- Cupcake Decorating Ideas ~ How To Make Frog Cupcakes
Cupcake decorating is great fun but continually coming up with new cupcake deccorating ideas can be hard. Use these instructions to learn how to make simple frog faced animal cupcakes
- Cupcake Decorating - How to Make and Decorate a Pig ...
Decorating Cupcakes is great fun at any age and it's amazing how easy it is to create very effective designs such as animal faces. Follow these instructions to learn how to make Pig Cupcakes
- Cupcake Decorating - How to Make and Decorate Cow Cu...
Cupcake decorating is great fun at any age, and having learnt a few simple tecniques it's amazing how easy it is to create great designs such as cow cupcakes. Once you've learnt how to make one...
- Cupcake Decorating - How to Make Elephant Cupcakes
It doesn't matter whether you're four or ninety-four, cupcake decorating is something that can be enjoyed by everyone. Kids love it as in a few simple steps they are able to make recognisable cupcake...
- Cupcake Decorating - How to Make Ladybird Cupcakes
If you're ever stuck for ideas for how to entertain your kids during school holidays or rainy afternoons then have a go at cupcake decorating.Follow the instructions below to learn how to make these really easy ladybird cupcakes.
- Cake Decorating Flowers - How to Make Calla Lily Sug...
Calla lilies are some of the most elegant and easy to make cake decorating flowers around. They can be made in a variety of sizes and are suitable for decorating wedding cakes or when used individually, as...
- Cake Decorating Flowers - How to Make Sugar Paste Ca...
Cake decorating and learning how to make simple sugar paste flowers for cakes and cupcakes can be a very satisfying experience ~ not mention a very economic one as instead of expensive presents you can now...
More by this Author
Make a christening cake truly special with these ideas for simple sugar paste chistening cake decorations that anyone can make.
Piping gel opens up a whole new world of fun for cake decorating. Clear or colored it can be used to create amazing affects from castle moats to stained glass windows.
If your cake sinks in the middle when you take it out of the oven, it doesn't mean you can't bake. It just means you need to make a few adjustments. Follow these easy tips to prevent/rescue it.